In a quandary

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:15 am

vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 am

Quotes: The steering wheel interests me. Claimed to be a chapman signature wheel from a Europa. It has spokes and hub like an early Elan wheel rather than Europa and I did not know these style spokes ever came with a Chapman signature or a soft rim rather than wooden rim. I also thought the chapman signature only came on wheels with the round holes in the spokes?

And: Yes I dont believe the Europa ever came with a Chapman signed wheel (my JPS did not have one) and I also thought the Chapman wheels only came with the holes although there was a slotted spoked signed one on ebay recently
I just assumed someone had been doing a bit of "constructive modifications"

A fellow told me a couple of years ago, that when he was at a Lotus Donington show, BACK WHEN WE HAD A SHOW, ALAN MORGAN !!!!!!, someone was selling an original COLIN CHAPMAN signature stamp for the steering wheels. How did he know that it was an original stamp? punter asks. Because I used to stamp em, back in the day, came the reply. Did he think it had any value? seller asks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20,000 original CH wheels made...............30,000 currently in existence. Good init.

Leslie

ie Simon, ie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:03 pm

512BB wrote:20,000 original CH wheels made...............30,000 currently in existence. Good init.

Leslie

ie Simon, ie

Thanks, I think we all get the "ie" :roll:

BENIDORM_24.JPG and
LeslIE

Benidorm:- a popular UK TV comedy series revolving around the package tour Solana Hotel in Benidorm Spain.
Principal character:
Les is the calm, practical, friendly and resourceful barman at the hotel pool. He's also a hardworker with good ideas, and a loving dad to his son Liam.

Les is a transvestite and so can sometimes be seen wearing a wig and rollerskating around the pool with cocktail orders as 'Leslie'. He and Mateo don't always get along as he shows Mateo up as being lazy.
Last edited by Spyder fan on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:10 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Straight six,...fit Fuel injection...but would still prefer a Zetec/Duratec..and a smaller car.
Thanks
John :wink:

Isn't that my line?

Please don't sell your +2 unless you really have to do it to make space for your replacement classic. There's few cars from the 60's and 70's that look as elegant as a +2, they are great to drive and getting rarer, so the chances of buying another as good as yours in the future for an affordable price will diminish.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Allun,

I am sure I never gave you permission to lift that picture from my FACEBOOK page.

Very annoyed of Cambridge
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:46 pm

A young friend dropped a MX5 engine and box into a Herald and his wife has fun commuting in it. Alternatively you could drop a Ford V6 in it like a Spitfire at Goodwood Revival had last year.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:13 am

John
keep the +2......its worth ????? (at the very least mid teens and rising)
buy a herald theyre no money.......for a couple of grand you can get a good one....
for less than ?1000 you can get a runner/restoration........
youre after the latter I guess as you want to redo the drivetrain.....
twiddle, fettle and modify away to your hearts content on the herald.....

:mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:53 am

Having had a Herald or two myself, I wouldn't worry about the drivetrain, but the 'suicide' rear swinging arm suspension might keep me awake at nights.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/technical ... g-springs/
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:56 pm

Anyone who thinks rust is a problem on a Lotus hasn't owned an old Herald. The chassis outriggers rot. As do the rails to the backbone. The rear suspension then rips off the rear rails. Then of course the tin bodywork will hold lots of surprises!!
Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Ugh . . . the thought of all that rust repair just gives me heartburn.

I actually enjoyed grinding out gelcoat cracks and doing veil/resin. All the while I thought of rust repair and smiled . . . . :mrgreen:

Keep the Plus 2; find a way/place to stash a new project, at least until you're dead-sure you love the new project more than the old Plus 2. In other words, "overlap" the two, 'till you're sure which one you want to live with. :mrgreen:

Randy (as if I know anything . . . )
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:45 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Well,I can see the steering wheel but not the column,and no mention of the problem of it fouling the carbs,which I presume was the reason for Lotus choosing a LHD?

John :wink:

You're right, but it has a rack-and-pinion conversion which avoids that issue.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Medication ?
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Medication ?
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:04 pm

john - i hate to say: if u wanna remain as young as possible: look for the more sporty solution to the problem. if u are tyred go for a stock morris minor (OR as a friend of mine: he runs a racing version of this beauty using a 140hp version of a rotationmotor by mazda) - but stay with your elan: otherwise you?ll turn bored and LD sandy from the curvy alps
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:42 pm

If you really want a change from an Elan, and want something that is properly fast, very roomy and comfy, then have a look at the TVR cars from the 1990s. The chairman, Peter Wheeler, was 6ft 7 inches tall, and his ability to drive the cars in comfort was parameter number 1 when the designers got started.

They are pretty simple cars, like the Lotus, but generally have 2 to 3 times the power for a similar weight. They are huge fun, can simply be maintained at home, and have a little more get up and go, and a lot more of everything else, that a bloody Herald with a big engine!

At your age John, you can't faf around making decisions, or it will be too late. Get on with it man!

By the way, you're three months younger than me.

Here's some to whet the appetite:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... sacat=9801

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: