The dangers of using a classic car

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:27 pm

As Tim says, except that the requirement from 1/1/65 is for a Body Restraining seat belt, rather than a 3 point mounting.

Lap Belts are not illegal, but do not comply with the requirement of Body Restraining.

Seat belts must comply to the relevant British Standard, and if fitted must be worn.

Freedom of speech and expression is not a right in Australia.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:38 am

Eric

At least it will be warm rain...

and as for

Freedom of speech and expression is not a right in Australia.

The U.K. is going the same way...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:22 am

Hard to be an (apparently) lone voice on this. But to remain silent is to condone what I considered to be an unnecessarily offensive, racist post. Both my parents were migrants to Australia post-war, when this country was somewhat more welcoming than it is now. Dad was unskilled, worked the railways on arrival while he studied. And in return Australia got one of the best electronics technicians they could have hoped for, in my dad. I'd say Australia has a high level of freedom of speech. That doesn't mean that blatant racial stereotyping is acceptable, in any forum, no matter how large or small. Never is, never will be. Like the USA, we're largely a country of immigrants. So it really touches a nerve with me when established migrants, whose parents or grandparents were welcomed and given a chance, feel that they can pour scorn on those who seek to do likewise today. Yes it touched a nerve. Rant over! Back to cars?
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 am

robertverhey wrote:Hard to be an (apparently) lone voice on this. But to remain silent is to condone what I considered to be an unnecessarily offensive, racist post. Both my parents were migrants to Australia post-war, when this country was somewhat more welcoming than it is now. Dad was unskilled, worked the railways on arrival while he studied. And in return Australia got one of the best electronics technicians they could have hoped for, in my dad. I'd say Australia has a high level of freedom of speech. That doesn't mean that blatant racial stereotyping is acceptable, in any forum, no matter how large or small. Never is, never will be. Like the USA, we're largely a country of immigrants. So it really touches a nerve with me when established migrants, whose parents or grandparents were welcomed and given a chance, feel that they can pour scorn on those who seek to do likewise today. Yes it touched a nerve. Rant over! Back to cars?

:oops:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:41 am

More than any racism I just saw ignorance, someone that doesnt know the difference between immigration and importation.

Or perhaps they were a domestic manufacturer of clowns losing trade to imported ones :lol:

I'm sure my 61 VW camper had lap belts, maybe it was just the centre one.

Werent the centre rear seat belts on all cars lap only belts until recent years with the fitting of the weird unfathomable lap and diagonal ones?
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:54 am

robertverhey wrote:Hard to be an (apparently) lone voice on this. But to remain silent is to condone what I considered to be an unnecessarily offensive, racist post. Both my parents were migrants to Australia post-war, when this country was somewhat more welcoming than it is now. Dad was unskilled, worked the railways on arrival while he studied. And in return Australia got one of the best electronics technicians they could have hoped for, in my dad. I'd say Australia has a high level of freedom of speech. That doesn't mean that blatant racial stereotyping is acceptable, in any forum, no matter how large or small. Never is, never will be. Like the USA, we're largely a country of immigrants. So it really touches a nerve with me when established migrants, whose parents or grandparents were welcomed and given a chance, feel that they can pour scorn on those who seek to do likewise today. Yes it touched a nerve.

Amen to that! Well said.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:28 pm

My grandparents arrived in the UK from Borneo just after the second world war. My grandfather was tortured and imprissoned by the Japenese and my aunt was gang raped by them. My mother had an extremely difficult young life with her father in a prison camp. My grandfather was awarded the MBE for his war time efforts so I suppose (in my view) earned his citizenship.
In no way do I condone racial outrages such as those discussed (especially with my mixed race parentage) but I also understand the worries of people today who feel that their populations are being stretched to bursting point by letting in so many immigrants who it now seems are not even properly checked regarding any criminal past.
Perhaps some thoughts are just best kept to ourselves and not shared on here.
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:15 pm

Hey Eric, do you get commission every time you mention Tenerife? :lol:
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Meg,
OK, I pushed it too far. Sorry, I'm always doing that. Anyway no more time for this, the sun has come out. Back in a few weeks. (oops, there I go again).
Eric (avoiding Christmas and new year.)
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:56 pm

Only pulling your leg, Eric, but if you lived somewhere sensible you wouldn't need to go there so often!
Sorry guys, off topic. :oops:
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Thats OK Meg,
As for where to live, you may have a point. We live in the hills in Lancashire and we do get a lot of raln. But these are real hills in beautiful countryside with few tourists where we spend a lot of time walking and anyway it's home.
Have a look at my post--Here it is and thankyou--via the search box.
Typing this by the pool, time for a beer now. Oh look, you have made me do it again !!
Eric (daren't say where))
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Robert,

I am content to read your opinion and comment. That you are offended I can accept, that you seek to silence others and censor what I can read, I do not.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 pm

So is Tenerife nice? I've never been.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Mazzini wrote:So is Tenerife nice? I've never been.

It's a bit like the Curates Egg.... Good in parts. It's main feature this time of year is the lovely sunny weather, cheers you up no end after all the gloom and rain in England.

The last time I went we ended up in a nice 4 star hotel ( Fanabe Playa) which was great. The area was Playa de Las Americas which is okay if you like things lively, but the touts do rather get on your nerves and some parts are a bit seedy with high crime rates although this is mostly theft from cars and self catering apartments rather than violent crimes, still can ruin your holiday though...... Lots of English bars and fish and chips, makes you wonder why people go apart from the weather and cheap alcohol of course.

Inland and on other coasts it's a paradise and there are lots of villas to rent with great facilities.

Just my opinion of course :mrgreen:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks Alan, I'll add to the list of places to see :D
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous