Respect

PostPost by: Tahoe » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:38 pm

Even though this is an International Forum something happened today in the USA, and that was the decision of the NBA on the racial comments of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling. I for one am so happy about the decision today.(Google for all the details) As a life long supporter of human rights as it applies to race, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, etc., I hope this decision sends a message even in a small way that we must treat everyone with respect. Doesn't mean we need to agree on all topics (and we won't), but I hope we can all respect each other.

As a 64 year old White straight person married to an Black women we have personally been discriminated against as a couple over the years. Dealing with ignorance is not fun people.

That's all I want to say except "Don't be colo(u)r blind, be colo(u)r kind", and I'm not just talking about skin colo(u)r.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: niagra » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Hear hear, well said. It has been reported over here.
niagra
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:24 am

I'll second that, Russ and niagra.
...how vile the, largely unspoken, racism looks when brought to the surface...
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:51 am

well said guys......agree !00%...

:D fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 am

Plus one to that!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05 am

Being the other side of the water I had no knowledge of this and was as outraged as many but with the small concern that it appeared to be a private conversation being played out on the world stage by I guessed a Partner with an axe to grind.

I read this morning that the conversation took place in 1981, is that really true?

33 years ago!!! Presumably now an ex Partner.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:36 pm

The tape is supposedly an argument over Instagram posts, so not 33 years ago, but three or four max.

That's not the point of Russ's post. Racial, or for that matter gender, sexual, religious or whatever bias, is based in ignorance. Any person, ignorant or not, is certainly entitled to their own beliefs however those beliefs affect that person's own life. It's when they make those beliefs public, either in speech or in actions, that they start to effect other people. In this case it's somewhat suspect as to how that personal conversation became public but it did. With all of the public scrutiny, the NBA and other owners were forced to take action this time where in the past they chose to look the other way. They are certainly not heroes in this case either.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: