Pikes Peak Hillclimb 2014

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:24 pm

I plan to attend the 2014 running of Pike Peak hillclimb. Can anyone provide advice on do's and don'ts where to stay; Hotel, RV places to eat etc. Also remember; i'm Irish, so a beer in the evening is always looked forward too.

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm

James,

While I have not been on the hill to watch the hillclimb since the road was fully paved, there used to be three spot for recommended viewing: First is the start line area, perhaps 2-300 yards after the start line where you can watch them launch and go through the first turn. This has the advantage of being able to walk about the pit area and see the preparation and get refreshments and use the facilities, or leave early if you must. It is also the best/most predictable weather.

Second is either the area that is called the "W's" or the Devil's Playground where you can watch a car coming from a long way and see several switchbacks. This choice locks you in place without any facilities until the runs finish and the road reopens, but provides the best viewing I think.

Third, is the finish line area. Here you get the results as they happen and see the collected cars that have finished their runs (which is never all those that start), There are facilities at the top and some freedom to move but you are stuck until the road reopens and subject to wind and weather which at 14,110 feet is mighty unpredictable.

As far as where to stay, I would either stay in Colorado Springs where there are lots of chain motels or in Manitou Springs part way up US24 toward the mountain, which is more charming and more expensive. I live in the Springs and am willing to provide a room if it is OK with the Hospitality Chieftain with whom I shall inquire.

For inspiration, here is a picture of my car atop the mountain.
Attachments
Green Jean top of Pike's Peak Med.JPG and
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks for replies on and off-line (Ross and Rob). Keep them coming. The Youtube clip got me all worked up again. Really looking forward to this.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: