Free road tax

PostPost by: arthur67 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:26 pm

My +2 was registered in march 1973 just been to tax it thinking it was free.The post office computer is saying it will be ?235.I thought from April 2014 it was exempt any idea what is going on?
Regards Arthur
arthur67
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Arthur, I had the same issue last year with a '72 MG. It was because it was still classed as PLG and had to be changed to historic vehicle on the log book.
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Arthur

You need to complete the "Changes" section on your V5 document and where it says "Taxation Class" write "Historic" then send it off to Swansea. If you include a completed V10 tax disc application form then I believe they should send you a tax disc.

This is what I've done although, as yet, I haven't received anything back.

I do believe, after reading the small print, that once you've applied for a tax disc you should be ok to use your car for a period of time (up to 2 weeks I think) until it arrives. I must say though, I'm not going to take that risk.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi Again Arthur

I've just checked the DirectGov website and it now has my car down as an "historic" taxed from 1st April 14. So, it looks like everything's gone through ok and I guess a disc should be in the post

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Hello gents,
You don?t have to send your doc?s off to Swansea, fill in the changes in section 7 as Andy says, sign & date section 8, then take it along to your Post office & ask for a tax disc as you would normally. They should give you your disc, FOC, & send your V5 to Swansea for you, you?ll then receive a new V5 with amended taxation class in the post in due coarse.
Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Just come across this thread and wondered if anyone can help with my registration documents. My car (Elan Sprint) has been off road since around 1990 and still on the old green log book, I understand it does not need to be SORN as it was taken off road prior to SORN starting.
My car was registered on 1st Aug 1971 so is eligible for free road tax, but will still need an MOT and insurance before I can tax it.
What forms will I need to do this and will I need to send my old log book back to DVLA?
I have checked details on DVLA site and they have my car listed.
Thanks
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 am

Things have changed over the years at DVLA, there doesn't seem to be any form you can pick up at a Post office nowadays, so I suggest you ask your question in any post office that does registrations.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:31 am

If you ask DVLA they will tell you that if you don?t have a V5C it?s not on their records & therefore you have to apply for retention of original registration, which requires dating letters & proof that the registration originally belonged to that vehicle, simple enough, but takes a bit of time & effort. However, I had this situation with one of my bikes, I had an old style V5, & I could find the vehicle details & tax liability on line so I phoned Swansea & argued that as I could find the details on line, it must be on their records, so why should I have to go through all the hassle of effectively reregistering it on it?s own number! Fortunately, I got a decent chap on the phone who could understand my point that if a member of the public can find a vehicles details on the DVLA?s vehicle checker, surely the DVLA should be able to find enough info to issue a new V5C without all the paperwork. He had a quick word with his superior, & they agreed that if I filled in the new keeper changes on the old V5 that I had & sent it off to them, they would send me a new V5C. The only thing they couldn?t do was change the taxation class to historic at the same time as this could only be done when taxing the vehicle. It was all done in less than a week! Worth making a phone call to DVLA, you may get the same result.
Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Ian,

If you have checked the DVLA system online and your car appears on their computer, you don't need to complete the V765 or any other documents relating to classic cars.

If the car appears ie it is registered, you need to fill in a V62 - Here https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ertificate

silverlink wrote: My car (Elan Sprint) has been off road since around 1990 and still on the old green log book,
The Green Log Book ceased to be a valid document may years ago. In order for you car to be registered and therefore on the computer it would have to have been exchanged for a V5 and been cancelled. Or claimed to have been lost and replaced by a V5. Either way that had to be done before 1983 for your car to be on the computer and therefore taxed. As such it is only of historic interest, its only use being for a V765 application.

If it is on the DVLA computer, at some point it had a replacement for the green logbook ie a V5 of some historic format. - If you can find that you just need to fill it in and send it off - No Fee.

When you get the new V5 you will then have to tax or SORN the car.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi guys,
Many thanks for all your help, I have just come off the phone with very helpful chap at DVLA and it seems it is registered with them however they have a wrong post code against it. Because of this they are sending me a new V5 in next two weeks and it looks as though nothing to pay. I was also told that all I need to do is take the V5 along to post office after ticking the box for Historic vehicle and I will be taxed, brilliant.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Ian,

After that luck I would buy a lottery ticket. The odds are better than having success with the DVLA!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: arthur67 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks for all your help very impressive.I have posted off my V5 having filled the changes section and also filled in a V10 just waiting for tax disc.
Regards Arthur
arthur67
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: