bulk speedo cable

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:59 am

I am looking to purchase Smiths speedo cable. I believe also known as Bowden conduit. The British type of cable differs from the U.S.. The pertinent dimensions are: Gray vinyl outer sheath. Dimensions .255 inch OD without vinyl and .30 inch with vinyl sheath. Cable ID .155 inch. I have attached a photo.

I would appreciate if anyone can provide contact information for any companies that sell this cable. I assume that UK companies would be most likely to stock this.

Thanks

Bob
Attachments
100_2123.JPG and
cable and end fitting
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 am

Try http://www.speedycables.com

Bowden cable is not the same, it's the type used for throttles, hand brakes, etc.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:48 pm

I tried them when looking for the pictured fitting. No luck. I am making that fitting.

I will ask them if they will sell bulk cable.

I was looking for a supplier / manufacturer of it but have been unsuccessful. It is probably made in china now.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:01 pm

I have contacted Speedy Cables. I see they are in Swansea. Many times I put the company address into google maps and if available look at the street view. I "click" along the surrounding streets and get an idea of the area. It is a short inexpensive vacation!

The street signs I saw in Wales appeared to me to be difficult to pronounce. Is that a problem? It was like a different country.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:46 pm

rdssdi wrote:I have contacted Speedy Cables. I see they are in Swansea. Many times I put the company address into google maps and if available look at the street view. I "click" along the surrounding streets and get an idea of the area. It is a short inexpensive vacation!

The street signs I saw in Wales appeared to me to be difficult to pronounce. Is that a problem? It was like a different country.

Bob

Well, it is a "different" country, I went to school in Wales. And yes, place names can be hard to pronounce, particularly those in Welsh. Even those with English names can be tricky, because they may have 2 names. Swansea's Welsh name is Abertawe, for example.
Is is a problem? Not really. If you live there, you soon get to know how names are pronounced, rather like when you live in the USA you learn how to say Arkansas. If you don't live there, you never have to say the name, do you?
Be glad you don't live in North Wales, at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

By the way, what's the origin of that cable end in your photo, please?
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:16 pm

The cable is from a Smiths Radiomobile hand crank aerial. I am always interested in purchasing parts or non working assemblies. In my experience around 99.99 percent are not functioning.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. You must be joking.

Now Wales and the rural area shown in that mini engine transplant video are on my list of places to visit in the UK. I am getting very close to planning a trip. I would also want to visit Solihull. If you chaps drove on the correct side of the road it would be easier for me to rent a car and drive around. I also want to see Scotland. Looks like a month long trip!

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:58 pm

I'm not sure why Speedycables say (if they do) they are in Swansea. They are about 16 miles north of Swansea.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:36 pm

"Abercrave, Swansea Valley" From their contact info on web site.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:24 am

If I can pronounce Welsh names anyone can (it has just taken a few years!) :lol:
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: