Frying Eggs

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:27 pm

Well,seeing how my last posting has careered off course before I start the strip-down/rebuild can anyone tell me if yolks are at the top or bottom of the egg.
I ask this to save me from breaking the yolks when frying......should I tap the lower part of the shell on the frying pan rim or use a knife and attack from above....
I suppose the answer is the specific gravity of the yolk as opposed to the albumen....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Interesting.

A "curate's egg" is a phrase used to describe something that is at least partly bad, but with some arguably redeeming features. In its original context, the term refers to something which is obviously and essentially bad but which is willfully described euphemistically as being only partly so, it?s supposed good features being credited with undue redeeming power. In other words, an egg with the yolk on top might be described as bad, but equally could be described as good (a good egg).

The curates egg derives from a cartoon published in Punch on 9 November 1895, 118 years ago. Drawn by George du Maurier and entitled "True Humility", it pictures a timid-looking curate taking breakfast in his bishop's house. The bishop remarks with candid honesty to his lowly guest: "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones." The curate replies, desperate not to offend his eminent host and ultimate employer: "Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent!". What we do not know, of course, is whether he was referring to the yolk or the white flesh, or if the yolk was on top, and therefore good, or below, in which case it was a bad egg.

The term relies on an objective analysis and intuitive understanding of the depicted scenario: a self-contained egg cannot be both partially spoiled and partially unspoiled. To pretend to find elements of freshness in a bad egg is thus a desperate attempt to find good in something which is irredeemably bad. The humour is derived from the fact that, given the social situation, the timid curate is so obsessively fearful of giving offence that he cannot even agree with his superior's acknowledgement that he has served a bad egg and thereby ends up looking absurd himself by exposing his obsequiousness. He himself thus becomes, it could be argued, a bad egg.

The antithesis was in the final issue of Punch published in 1992, where the cartoon was re-printed with the caption: Curate: This f***ing egg's off! The contrast is thus drawn with the modern era where people are implied to have little care for the niceties of Victorian over-stretched good manners towards what were then termed social superiors. As such, dear sir, I can merely conclude that what you have is a rotten egg. I'll leave it up to you whether you fry it or not.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:57 pm

John,
You are a good egg, unlike some here. eggs should be fried in a grade 316 stainless steel frying pan that has been seasoned with ground nut oil. On no account should an inferior PTFE coated or anodised aluminium pan be used as this will impair the heat transference to the albumen.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Well this is a sensitive subject as overe ere we have a Mayor who loves the crack sound ........of eggs
Not to Be called" chicken"for my outlook .....Eggs should NEVER be fried. Just Poached or hard boiled only ..... :cry: frying them creates too many political and cultural problems and radical outlooks with religious overtones .....world peace through 5 minute eggs.....ed ......some ha eggs and winna eat some ha none and canna
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: