Bone dome/Skid lid

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:19 pm

http://www.motolegends.com/helmets/bell ... elmet.html

Available in Jim Clark colours; that yer bike helmet sorted and.... you're too old for track days. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:26 pm

elansprint71 wrote:http://www.motolegends.com/helmets/bell-jet-rt-shadow-helmet.html

Available in Jim Clark colours; that yer bike helmet sorted and.... you're too old for track days. :twisted:

Oh yes, now that is a little beauty isn't it.
And you do seem to forget that I have a death wish so age is no limit :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 am

Having been slightly dead twice and seriously dead once I can tell you dying doesn't hurt ....getting well is what hurts ...a lot :lol: .....And it's highly overrated And not recommended ..it's like 3 in the morning forever very boring
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:31 am

twincamman wrote:Having been slightly dead twice and seriously dead once I can tell you dying doesn't hurt ....getting well is what hurts ...a lot :lol: .....And it's highly overrated And not recommended ..it's like 3 in the morning forever very boring

Have no fear Ed, I will be buying a good helmet to use on my very occasional runs out on my "rapid" 200cc rocket.
My British "black humour" seems to have gone over your adopted Canadian head old chap. :)

Have a good day
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:13 pm

no.... I apart from true the being dead part you missed the Colonial humour

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:22 pm

I found out last week that I have the same problem, John. Went into the local Honda agents to get a few bits for a bike I'm restoring, and the guy behind the counter was fascinated in the Shoei helmet I had. Soon a couple of the other lads were pouring over it. They'd never seen the style or the colour scheme, and wondered If I'd bought it overseas, or special order. Then an older bloke turned up and recognised it straight away....that's a (something or other style) from 1987........I hope your not still wearing that!

Of course I was, and was lectured about how helmets only last 5 to 7 years, even these top of the range ones, as the inner compressible shell compresses over time, and becomes brittle, so offers no protection for the head's inners...the brain. The shell is just as strong as ever, so whilst your skull will remain intact, everything else turns to mush in an accident.

So I went to have a look at a replacement and the equivalent model was ?600! Well, I suppose it has to be done, but there are many places discounting the Shoei and Aria helmets on the internet, so that's where I will go.

But for now, no wheelies or sliding around the corners!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:23 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I found out last week that I have the same problem, John. Went into the local Honda agents to get a few bits for a bike I'm restoring, and the guy behind the counter was fascinated in the Shoei helmet I had. Soon a couple of the other lads were pouring over it. They'd never seen the style or the colour scheme, and wondered If I'd bought it overseas, or special order. Then an older bloke turned up and recognised it straight away....that's a (something or other style) from 1987........I hope your not still wearing that!

Of course I was, and was lectured about how helmets only last 5 to 7 years, even these top of the range ones, as the inner compressible shell compresses over time, and becomes brittle, so offers no protection for the head's inners...the brain. The shell is just as strong as ever, so whilst your skull will remain intact, everything else turns to mush in an accident.

So I went to have a look at a replacement and the equivalent model was ?600! Well, I suppose it has to be done, but there are many places discounting the Shoei and Aria helmets on the internet, so that's where I will go.

But for now, no wheelies or sliding around the corners!!

Mark

Thanks for the heads up on that Mark; I'd very much appreciate it if you would send me the internet addresses that you have found to provide the best offers.
I think that all of this will be an expensive shopping trip as I have no bike clothes, boots or anything presently.
Certainly no bike riding at all until I'm all togged up to do it safely. I have a bad record of falling off the things when going around corners :roll:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:58 pm

I haven't done a lot of hunting for a helmet yet John, but this is the sort of place to try I reckon:

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/

A nice trip down to Bridport as well!

Here's another one to look at...not sure where they are:

http://www.topgearsuperstore.com/

But I'm sure there will several places in Bristol to go have a look and try some stuff on. You are a more normal size than me, and will find something you're after I'm sure.

Fowlers is a big store and has been around for many years....probably worth popping in...

http://www.fowlersonlineshop.co.uk/default.aspx

I bought a Rev'it jacket and trousers from a local bike shop recently, which is fabric with all sorts of armour bits built in. Comfy and a darned sight better protection than my old leathers from 1987, and around ?500 for the pair. The new gloves now have hard plastic knuckles to assist in gliding down the road with little harm, as do the modern boots with lots of additional protection in all the vulnerable places. Quite a lot of changes in the past 25 years, let along 40 years plus when I started to ride bikes!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:05 am

Blimey - it's a Tiger Cub not a Moto GP bike. All this "buy a $10 helmet if you've got a $10 head" (70's Bell advert?) fear advertising is the equivalent of dressing up in day-glo lycra to go out shopping on a bike with a wicker basket on the front. The 50's look would be an ex WW2 dispatch riders coat, or moving on ten years, a wax cotton jacket - Barbour or Belstaff if your lottery numbers have come up or a cheap (probably Chinese or Indian) version on ebay if they haven't. As a side benefit wax cotton's all very fashionable at the moment with Steve McQueen replicas and all that so you'll look period and cutting edge at the same time!

If you're planning on crashing a lot I suppose a helmet with some facial protection might be useful on the margins but most of the time it's main use is to keep the flies out of your teeth. On a Cub they'll probably be overtaking you so an open face will be more than adequate - have a look at what Davida have to offer (http://davida.co.uk/category.php?id=helmets)

Once you get used to it and get some miles under your belt you might be looking for places to go on it - how about the Gaffers Gallop! Details here - http://www.tigercubspares.co.uk/html/ga ... _2013.html - but briefly it's a Lands End to John O'Groats rerun of something Triumph's senior management did in the early 50's on the Cub's predecessor.

There should be some smilies etc scattered around the stuff above but for some reason they seem to be on strike on my computer today, so add them in liberally to get the right tone! The only serious bit would be a question on why a glass fibre helmet should be dumped after 6-7 yrs when all its done is spend most of its time sitting on a shelf. What is it that degrades? If it's the shell most of our Elans should have been condemned decades ago.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:58 am

Mark, Stuart,

your posts have brightened up my morning; not only very amusing but also a load of brilliant tips, which I will most definitely be acting on.
I expect a Chinese copy of Belstaff will be what I end up with.

To be honest I'm still pinching myself!
If you'd asked me a week ago about bikes I'd have told you, "I'll never climb on one ever again"
And then there were all of these historic bikes at a meet up at the last historic car race meeting; I took a sniff around & there was this lovely little Cub smiling at me.
I'm a sucker for little animals!

My smilies are not working either, sob!

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:25 pm

The modern fabric jackets and trousers are usually grey or black, but I suppose that you can get them in iridescent pink or tiger stripes if you want the Moto GP look.... most don't.

You will get as much protection from a Barbour as wearing a bin liner around your pullover. If you think that having a slow bike is a reason to not get decent protective wear, try this little experiment.

Go outside and run as fast as you can into a tree in the garden...chin first to simulate wearing an open face crash helmet. You will probably be doing 10mph or less, so don't worry, it won't hurt.

Then try the same exercise, but take a dive before hitting the tree onto the concrete drive....again, you won't be doing any speed at all.

Most bike accidents happen in built up areas at less than 30 mph, and the resulting injuries if not wearing any protection can be pretty horrible even at that speed. Doesn't matter if you're riding a Honda 50 or a race replica, the pain is the same. And John, at our age, we don't bounce any more!

The modern gear can cost less than the old Barbours, and employs kevlar and carbon fibre to absorb bumps, protect pointy bits like elbows, knees and knuckles, and it really does work. They look like normal jackets as well, so you don't have to look like Darth Vader or Valentino Rossi when going out.

There is a massive choice of kit so I really would suggest you have a good look at what options you have at one of the big stores before deciding on the 1960s crap....that was all we had then, and there is a lot better stuff on the market now.

Mark

Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:16 pm

As always, very sound advice from the man who it appears charges around & bumps into lots of trees in his "Forest"
No worries Mark, in years gone by I've learned that just falling off Ski's can hurt a lot.
I've just returned from a pretty well stocked shop just outside of Wells with a pair of nice gloves; well its a start.
I'm off to the model engineering show at Leamington Spa tomorrow but I'm planning a day out in Bristol next week.
I've been told of a good push bike shop in Broadmead & I'll be doing a lot of sniffing around at Fowlers.

Now I need to remember where I put my bus pass!
Life gets tedious don't it.

Heck what's happened to those smilies----grrrr

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Oh well as I have stated before ...dying doesnt hurt ...getting well does....Ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 pm

twincamman wrote:Oh well as I have stated before ...dying doesnt hurt ...getting well does....Ed

So what makes you think that I've missed the point.
I'm a great listener, have taken everything on board & the kit I'll eventually buy will be "good stuff" OK?
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:03 pm

OK....no need to shout .sheesh?...now go to your room

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: