dull top lacquer coat

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi there,
I recently purchased an Alfa Spider which had been in dry storage for 8 years. There must have been a small leak in the garage roof because there is an area on the bonnet where the lacquer has "dulled". Is there any way of curing this apart from re-lacquering the entire bonnet?

Same question also applies to another car where a PO has , I think, not completed a good paint job - the lacquer is dull and semi-flat. Again, any solution apart from a full respray?

On a positive note, my Lotus' are really bright and shiny!!

Thanks

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:13 pm

It might just be a thin surface film if you're lucky. Assuming it's unacceptable as it is, and you're resigned to a respray then I'd be tempted to try some T-cut on the worst section. Very gentle application and see if it improves matters on the basis that there's nothing to lose.

The only time I ever sprayed a clear coat system I deliberately put on plenty and then cut it back using 1200 wet/dry followed by G3 cutting paste, finishing off with T-cut & normal polish. With any luck you should have enough lacquer there to get away with at least the last 2 stages.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:23 pm

+1 on Brian's comments - over here it would be 3M's perfect it series of product , they have one one specifically for spot refinishing .

G
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:40 pm

+1 similar

2000 grit wet and dry on a small cork block ie you hold it with your fingertips
very light pressure until you get it even
3m Finesse-it used with plenty of elbow grease and quite a lot of pressure
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear