Horesemeat?

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Well, someone must have eaten it- what does it taste like? :shock:

I think that somebody just jumped the gun slightly; with all these rumoured arrivistes from Romania and Bulgaria due here soon, it seems logical to import the sort of food they are used to from their home country.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:30 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Well, what does it taste like? :shock: .

.....beef......allegedly :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: niagra » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:51 pm

I fancy buying a cheapo lasagne to find out what it tastes like, but there's none on the shelves now!
niagra
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 pm

types26/36 wrote:
elansprint71 wrote:Well, what does it taste like? :shock: .

.....beef......allegedly :roll:

Yeah, but I'm a neo-veggie.............. so basically it tastes like shit? Or chicken... but not fish. :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 pm

I was in Calais (France) on Thursday last week, the butchers counter at the Auchan Hypermarket is always an interesting place for people with only schoolboy French, if there were no labels on the meat and you were told to take your pick of what you thought might be the best most juicy piece of steak on the counter then the Chevaux Steaks would win hands down, it really looks the bestest piece of fillet steak you have ever seen.

Yes I have sampled horsemeat and it is very palatable on a par with good beef steak. the best meat I have ever tasted however is Ostrich meat, now that knocks even Chateau briand beef steak into a cocked hat.

Also sampled crocodile (Australian alligator) tasted like chicken.... really. Kangaroo steak is good, a bit like venison.

There have been worries about possible medical issues with the horsemeat found in the faux ready meals, but the worst that can happen is a case of the trots!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:25 am

I vaguely remember reading from someone who knows, ( the Andes football team?), that people taste of.....nothing.
Not about to find out though..... :(

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:58 am

is that the horse meat thats been pumped full of drugs or the propper 'farmed' sort........
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 am

Allegedley there were no drugs, the horse meat I have eaten was sourced through a French licensed butcher. :)

I think this current scandal has come about because of new EU restrictions on the amount of recovered meat (steamed off the carcass and turned into gloop before being processed and reformed) that can be used in pre-prepared foods. Therefore producers have been scrabbling about trying to find cheaper sources of whole meat, and unscrupulous traders have offered horse meat labelled as beef. Horsemeat cubed up into chunks looks very much like stewing steak and the taste and texture are similar. Horse meat is a common food in Eastern Europe and is sourced from farmed herds, although they don't produce meat to EU standards there are local standards that don't allow the nasty drugs we have heard about to enter the food chain, but the problem is we don't really know the source because this is widespread criminal activity that will be difficult to unravel.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rmd24 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am

Had a tournedo cheval in a retaurant in St Gervais (Chamonix valley) last week and it was excellent. Tender and succulent, had you not known it was horse you would have accepted it as beef. This of course is a far cry from mislabeling horse as beef particularly as the horse used in these cases is probably inferior quality.

Roger.
rmd24
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:51 am

reb53 wrote:I vaguely remember reading from someone who knows, ( the Andes football team?), that people taste of.....nothing.
Not about to find out though..... :(

Ralph.

Recipe for long pig (not for the squeamish!)

Here's a recipe http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?111197-Whole-roast-long-pig
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am

There is now also concern regarding processed fish.. .........they have found traces of seahorse.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:22 am

stevebroad wrote:There is now also concern regarding processed fish.. .........they have found traces of seahorse.

Neigh lad.... I don't believe it!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:57 am

Slightly off topic, but there were a couple of cows standing in a field at the height of the BSE problem.

Cow 1 - "Are you worreid about mad cow disease?

Cow 2 - "No ,why should I be? I'm a duck".
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:17 am

Hi

Do you realise I'm so traumatised I'll never be able to watch another episode of Mr Ed!

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 am

Tastes far better and is more tender than beef, I used to eat it all the time but money problems and a reduction in red meat consumption have put paid to that, I did look longingly at the lasagnes in Lidl the other day though, I am fairly confident that any ready meals that contained horse would ahve tasted significantly better.

My only concern is that here in France where horsemeat is readily available it is significantly more expensive than beef, which in itself costs an effing fortune, if they were saving money by the horse substitution, and I dont think many will doubt that was the motive, then they must have been using carcasses that were banned for human consumption.

Long Pig!!! That brings back memories, its what the Man Bush Small Namba tribe used to affectionately call me, knowing the history of the phrase it certainly kept me on my toes :lol: :lol:
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: