Snow, Ice and Tides - not too bad here!

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:59 am

Power came back a few hours ago, no heat for 2 days and temps in the living room were 35 degrees Fahrenheit Sunday when I got up at 6am, a bit cooler upstairs. Outside temps were 10 degrees at that time. Got lucky and no pipes froze so when the power came back so did the heat. Snow was wet for the first 12 hours of the storm and turned to ice on the lines, poles, trees, and what ever else it hit. Tough to estimate totals but Mom live 2 miles inland said 18 to 20 inches. In any event its enough that I'll be ok if I don't see it again the rest of the year.

Gary

ice and the leaner.JPG and

half an hour before high tide.JPG and
Attachments
beau and the job to do.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rodlittle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Glad you're OK Gary I wouldnt have survived those temperatures
rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Looks like loads of fun and remember it all melts. Hopefully soon.

Rod thats almost normal temps for Gary. He is tough and just snuggles up to Beau for heat. :lol:

I to am glad you have come thru the mess OK!
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi Rod

Mark is correct. My plumber new me and installed thermostats that you can set at 42 F. so that is where the living room downstairs stays (Beau's room). Upstairs where I inhabit I vary the temps from a daytime of 60 F. to night a time of 42 F., when the sun is out there is 70 square feet of glass that will warm the room from 42 to 57F. and hold that most of the night, the heat kicks in at about 4 am and cycles once downstairs, it does not come on at all until I turn it up.

I need a set of pistons for the Sows Ear, no money for them so they are going to come out of the heating bill just as the rest of the build did last year. I was a spend thrift last year and the December, January and February bills for cooking and heating were $180, this year I have yet to get the February bill but the first two months we $104 so it ought to be less (two less heating days :) ). When you don't have the money, you need to adjust your priorities so that you can do what you want with what you have :D .

Gary
half an hour before high tide south sideJPG.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Glad all is well, Gary. It was quite the storm, that's for sure.

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/02/11 ... story.html
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:30 pm

I got out of the house and took Beau down to the beach for a walk and to see what had transpired since the storm. There was more damage to some of the homes and some people are going to have a bad summer as a couple may not be able to enjoy there summer homes this year. The beach has been receding westwart for a number of years there used to be homes on both side of the street (what street?)

There were houses on the right side of the road before the 1991 storm, you can still see the pilings of one (inside of the red ellipse)
Pille on the right inside the red elypse.JPG and

This house was built a couple of years before mine and they used a lot of concrete and steel, the steel is now rotting and the deck is collapsing
in 1991 thiswas the left side of the road.JPG and

No power, no septic, no decks, I feel very lucky indeed.
Missing back deck and damaged side deck.JPG and

This house appears to have sustained the worst structural damage, they may not get back in till next season.
So you think you want a water view.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Good to know you managed to get through the storm Gary. Two days without heat sounds pretty bad. Looking at the picture I wonder if just your deck was damaged.

Bob
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:07 pm

One of the snags of modern technology is that the services are interlinked.

After I had a new boiler fitted two years ago, both electricity and gas services have to be available for the heating to work, and I suspect I also need to have water pressure too or it will shut down for safety reasons.

No chimney in my house, so no possibility of an open fire.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: