Lotus Elan

Italy/Switzerland/Austria...

PostPost by: mark030358 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:40 pm

This year I want to do a tour of Italy/Switzerland/Austria in the Elan. So... I need to plan a route to take in all the best places to see. Can anyone recommend a route or series of routes... all help gratefully received...

thanks

Mark
User avatar
mark030358
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 925
Joined: 29 May 2004
Location: Willaston, Wirral

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Perhaps take a train to Munich & then drive down through Bavaria to Ludwigshafen & board a boat across to Switzerland.
From there drive East or South East to Austria & then further south into Italy just south of the Dolmites. Visit Lake Garda & Verona.
After that go as far south as you want to. Florence, Pisa & the Mediterranean coast may be possible
You can then take in South Tirol on the return trip heading north to wherever you want to be.
Get the map out & check what wonderful places Europe has to offer any visitor.
Oh and don't forget the food; you won't want to go back home! :wink:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati


Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
User avatar
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3151
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Location: Burnham-on-Mud

PostPost by: Coupe » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:53 am

Planning a similar trip at the moment but will be five days max. Day one mid morning channel crossing down to Troyes. Day two across Switzerland to Klosters. Day three an easier day up Stelvio and onto Curon Venosta. Day four touching Austria and on to Speyer near Hockenheim and finally day five via either Spa or Nurburgring back to overnight ferry Hook of Holland to Harwich.
And in the Elise, not the Elan.
Ben
User avatar
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 271
Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Location: Suffolk

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:05 am

Coupe wrote:Planning a similar trip at the moment but will be five days max. Day one mid morning channel crossing down to Troyes. Day two across Switzerland to Klosters. Day three an easier day up Stelvio and onto Curon Venosta. Day four touching Austria and on to Speyer near Hockenheim and finally day five via either Spa or Nurburgring back to overnight ferry Hook of Holland to Harwich.
And in the Elise, not the Elan.
Ben


If you're going to Speyer it would be worth planning for a 1/2 day or more at the technical museum which is not too far off.
They have, amongst so many interesting things, a Concorde & a Concordski there.
Oh yes & a curly Hetchins bike somewhere hung on a wall.

It seems that your daily mileage will be high; care to disclose what you've estimated?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati


Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
User avatar
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3151
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Location: Burnham-on-Mud

PostPost by: Coupe » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 am

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:
Coupe wrote:Planning a similar trip at the moment but will be five days max. Day one mid morning channel crossing down to Troyes. Day two across Switzerland to Klosters. Day three an easier day up Stelvio and onto Curon Venosta. Day four touching Austria and on to Speyer near Hockenheim and finally day five via either Spa or Nurburgring back to overnight ferry Hook of Holland to Harwich.
And in the Elise, not the Elan.
Ben


If you're going to Speyer it would be worth planning for a 1/2 day or more at the technical museum which is not too far off.
They have, amongst so many interesting things, a Concorde & a Concordski there.
Oh yes & a curly Hetchins bike somewhere hung on a wall.

It seems that your daily mileage will be high; care to disclose what you've estimated?

Cheers
John


Trying to keep to around 400miles each day (hence the Elise). Did Suffolk to Speyer in 2008 via Calais and that was just over 550 miles which was a long day - it keeps it under 400 miles crossing Hook to Harwich). Yes, did consider the museum at Speyer as we have stayed there several times while attending Hockenhiem (had dinner one evening with Brian Buckland at the Luxhoff Hotel where we were shown the hotel register signed by Jim Clark the evening before he was killed). Really should extend the trip by a day and take in the Schlumpf museum as we will be close - anyone been ?
User avatar
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 271
Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Location: Suffolk

PostPost by: dodo_z » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:50 am

Coupe wrote:... and take in the Schlumpf museum as we will be close - anyone been ?


Lets call it a collection, there are a lot old and very old cars from the beginnig of motoring in france. Personally I don't like these cars very much, but there are also a lot of race cars ad of course the bugatti collection. Nevertheless it's worth a visit.

Did I mention the Vosges, there are also a lot of perfect driver roads to be discovered.


Regarding John's post, both Technikmuseum Speyer and Sinsheim are worth a visit.


Within the Alps one of my favourite pass is the Spluegen Pass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spl%C3%BCgen_Pass (Passo dello Spluga).

dietmar
User avatar
dodo_z
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 07 Dec 2009
Location: Aichwald-Aichelberg, Germany

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:30 am

Well that was quite a drive:
Attachments
151.jpg and
Stelvio from the top
User avatar
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 271
Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Location: Suffolk

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests