First Wheeler Dealers Now Classic car Rescue

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:56 pm

In the Uk, Channel 5 are showing a new series titled 'Classic Car Rescue', they describe it as
"Bernie Fineman and Mario Pacione restore shameful rust buckets to their former 'classic car' glory in this new 6 part series in a TV first."
see the website here http://www.channel5.com/shows/classic-car-rescue
classic-car-rescue.jpg and

For the first episode they feature the iconic and very british Jaguar E Type. Now, I know very little about Jaguar E Types, but I do know that they are frighteningly expensive to restore properly, and that if you are going to the expense of restoring one, the only way to restore it is PROPERLY AND EXPENSIVELY. According to Mark Kempson (Elan in the Forest) who knows a thing or two about Jaguars (and Lotus C@rtinas) the team restoring the car make Wheeler Dealers look like professionals, it's that bad. Here's a link that Mark sent me to a Jaguar web forum with some very informed comments http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3795&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You can view the episode on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pk-huzurlw Luckily it appears that they won't be attempting a Lotus of any description.......

My long suffering wife wanted to know why my S4 cost the thick end of ?40,000 to restore and modify, when the guys on the TV fully restored an E Type for less than ?9000, I always told her my cars were cheaper than a mistress and a darn sight cheaper than a divorce, she's now checking my credit card receipts for secret Thai brides or Russian hostesses on the back of this program :roll:

Why is it that TV producers see fit to make such dross, when for a similar outlay or perhaps even at a lower production cost they coud produce programs similar to the "Is Born" series featuring Mark Evans where an MGB and Jaguar E Type are properly restored, as well as an AC Cobra replica is built, a Racing car is built and even a light aircraft and helicopter, fabulous inspiring programs with decent technical content put across in a way that the non petrol heads will still find it interestinghttp://www.markevans.co.uk/mark-evans-television-engineering.php
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Let's just hope they don't molest a Lotus .....
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:44 pm

I saw it and it made me laugh. I would band it with Wheeler Dealers as a work of fiction with mild comedy.

I did laugh at the crap he bought for a fiver that was in the scrap bin. Not sure what he had planned for it but not the best place to find quality parts.

I was helping a friend look for an E Type to restore last year, he had ?15,000 that he could sneak past his wife. After a year we gave up.
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 am

I watched it and was amazed at the incompetance of the crew - backing the freshly painted car into an old engine block, using flap wheels to remove the paint then skimming the whole body with filler to cover the scratch marks, overfilling the carbs with oil, searching for second hand parts when new ones are readily avilable, and possibly worst of all replacing a dodgy 70s 'moon roof' sunroof with, you've guessed it, another dodgy 70s moon roof sunroof.....
All in all a bit of a disapointment......
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:02 pm

I saw this too and actually laughed out loud at it. I am sure it is all put on just for the tv. No one surely works like that. None the less I watched it to the end. Thought is was entertaining if not informative.
One a lighter note I totally agree with:
the "Is Born" series featuring Mark Evans ... a Racing car is built

The 'racing car is born' obviously being the best because I am in it. :) Right at the end when he races at Criox. That?s me winning in my Westfield. :) Went on to win the championship that year.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:09 am

Turned it off after ten minutes! Next.... :|
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 pm

I watched it too.
It really gives a false impression to anyone not experienced in classic cars about the
reality of costs involved.
An E Type restored for ?6,000 ($9,000). They spent that on second hand parts and paint, but forgot to mention the cost
of a team of blokes working non stop for a month. Thats got to cost ?20,000+
So a Jag bought for ?12,000 with parts costing ?6,000 and labour at ?20,000 = ?38,000
Valued at ?30,000 the figures dont look good.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 am

The shops depicted on those shows can't possibly operate like that, day to day, and stay in business, without the underwriting of the television production.

I think it's worse here in the US. I'm specifically talking about American Hot Rod, Unique Whips, and Street Customs, but there are sure to be more. The shows producers think you have to add hyped up drama between the shop's team members to make the shows interesting to the average viewer. It makes them almost unwatchable to anyone that knows how things really work.

I sure can't believe anyone watching the shortcuts taken or mistakes being covered up decides to entrust their project to those "professionals".
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 am

Wanna restore an E-type properly? Here's how......

http://www.mckennasgarage.com/xke/index.htm

Left me wondering how they ever built them in the first place.....
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jon.ford » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 am

Watched the Mustang restoration last night what utter twoddle, went into spray booth painter? Started to spray if he had used a spray gun before I would be amazed, out of booth with most bright work fitted. That Bernie if some one came into my workshop and spoke like that he would be leaving with a boot up his backside.
What utter nonsense that's all that makes you watch it to the end.
Jon
You know you have a good car when your wife hates it.
Jon.ford
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:42 am

Do they sack the workforce in every show?

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:11 pm

Channel 5 have responded ("Hit Back") at the shows recent coverage in Classic Car Weekly. CCW 31st October includes:

Responding to comments that the show treated knowledgeable viewers with contempt, series producer said: We never claimed to be aiming the shows at the classic car world and no one on the team ever suggested the classic car community were mugs...It's a matter of regret that people who are passionate about classic cars have taken offence...But it's often people who are closest to the subject that are the harshest critics of a TV show

So who, exactly, are the shows aimed at? Any suggestions?

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Richard,
They are obviously aimed at people like you and me:- I just had to watch every single one of these "shows"......... how sad am I?

The format is the non existent chemistry between portly bald Cockney geezer and sloblike Canadian halfwit.

The Purchase: At least one car is rejected and the owner made to look like a crook, lots of teeth sucking and utterances of "Yore avving a larf! cringe making staged and stupid.

The restoration: Lot's of shouting and bad acting. Appalling workshop practices. Old junk spares bought from dodgy breakers yard that look worse than whats supposed to be replaced.

The end result: Nice shiny car that must have been restored by somebody else, apart from the engine bays..... these guys do not detail, that's obviously for whimps!

Shame it's only 6 shows :roll: Can't wait for season 2 when they restore an Elan +2 in an afternoon and turn it into a 26R............... cue lot's of shouting, fake problems and diabolical acting.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Richard, They are obviously aimed at people like you and me:- I just had to watch every single one of these "shows"......... how sad am I?

Alan,

I haven't seen any of 'em. Mainly because posts on here contained sufficient warning!

Under the Communications Act of 2003: "Channel 5 has a public service remit to provide a range of diverse and high quality programming".

Presumably the range of cars "rescued" could be seen as diverse even if the other bit was ignored! :roll:

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:44 am

I saw the jag episode and found it annoying especially the scene at the garage when the team first see the car; they're all complaining about the amount of work to do and epitomise just the sort of characters that should not be allowed anywhere near a classic car. There's a big argument at one point over the way the engine's running, which turns out to be too much oil in the carb damper pots, and then there's another incident where the rear corner gets bashed. All staged and complete bs.

The Mark Evans series are much better.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: