EU MOT Proposals

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:16 am

George4th wrote:4.5% for Late 1972 to 1986 - No problem for a standard Elan, you may just have to disconnect the air cleaner to get a final few percentage points!
3.5% for 1986 to 1995 After 1995 don't bother!
George (4th)

Under what condition is that tested? at idle or a given rev range?
When I worked for VW back in the 80?s the factory spec for most models were 1% CO plus or minus 0.5% @ idle with breather blocked.
Between 3. 5 to 4.5% should be quite easy to obtain with modern engines at idle.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: George4th » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:31 am

types26/36 wrote:
George4th wrote:4.5% for Late 1972 to 1986 - No problem for a standard Elan, you may just have to disconnect the air cleaner to get a final few percentage points!
3.5% for 1986 to 1995 After 1995 don't bother!
George (4th)

Under what condition is that tested? at idle or a given rev range?
When I worked for VW back in the 80?s the factory spec for most models were 1% CO plus or minus 0.5% @ idle with breather blocked.
Between 3. 5 to 4.5% should be quite easy to obtain with modern engines at idle.

Idle only and also for a small length of time, just to get the computer to say OK ...or d'accord!
Note these are the french regulations.
When I say don't bother it means that Catalytic convertors are obligatory for all vehicles after this date
see here http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contr%C3%B ... utomobiles
Guild member and proud of it
George4th
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:48 pm

UAB807F wrote:I'm not sure if it's a problem or just some journalist looking to make up a few column inches to a deadline and whip up a bit of hysteria along the way so you'll buy the next issue. Brian

Chancer wrote: I dont think what has been reported will ever happen and its just journalistic scare tactics...

Possibly and maybe I was also "guilty" in the way I brought the article to "our" attention. (Didn't want to scan a current piece!)

But it also says the Legislation Director at FBHVC, his European counterpart in the FIVA, and the ** chairman on the all-Party Parliamentary Historic Motors Group are being "vigilant" and "taking up the fight".

Henry VIIII wrote: Let's hope we have at least SOME politicians who will not give in to such crap

See above. ** Greg Knight.

"The All-Party Historic Vehicles Group comprises MPs and Peers of the main political paries.

The Group exists to promote and support the continued use of historic and classic motor vehicles in the UK and tries to ensure that their contined use and enjoyment is not affected or curbed by over-enthusiastic, regulation-ridden, form-filling, pen-pushing bureaucrats"

Ref: http://www.historicvehicles.org.uk/

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Henry VIIII wrote:This article has almost the exact opposite theme:

http://www.aftermarketonline.net/News/I ... ic-car-MOT

Yes. Good point!

Within the piece there is also a comment from an insurer which seems to relate to that...not the EU proposals.

It implies that there could be higher premiums for those who opt out of having their car(s) tested! :roll:

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Our country has a long history of people tinkering/improving things in their sheds and has produced some of the greatest engineers the world has ever seen. I wonder what would have happened if the Eurocrats had been putting rules in place when Mr Chapman was playing around with his first designs - his talent may never have shown and we may never have seen the greatest and most recognisable marque the world has ever seen.

The EU really seem like they are trying to stamp out creative thinking in people. Where are the future engineers going to come from if they're not allowed to think outside of the box and are only allowed to maintain what they already have instead of developing and improving?

Take for example a young kid of 17 who buys himself a scrap mini because he can't afford a new car and he wants to teach himself, or perhaps wants to go to college to study, fabricating, welding, and learn new skills. But he's not allowed to put into practice all those things he wishes to learn. What's going to inspire the engineers of the future? I know that my interest in cars came from messing around with bicycles when i was younger and that progressed to motorbikes, and then cars. How do you get a kid interested in, for example, aerospace engineering, if he's not first allowed to nurture skills via an interest in cars (which in my mind is a very good place to start.)

I want to see stats relating to the number of accidents caused by classic cars (seen as a ratio of classic cars to modern cars) as i'm sure that's the angle the EU idiots will be using here - that classic cars are just plain dangerous.

We should definitely do more to encourage recycling of old instead of just buying new cars because we are told it's better. And don't even get me started on the EU trying to (and already succeeding in some countries) make it illegal to put a more economical and modern engine in an old car! Seems like the EU just want us to buy buy buy new new new as they're sat on the boards of car companies etc etc. Who votes for these EU people to be in power anyway?? Nobody!

Get's me so mad!!!!
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:39 pm

ardee_selby wrote:Anyone seen the Classic Car Weekly report? :roll:

"NEW EU MOT TEST LOOMS"

"STRINGENT NEW VEHICLE TEST WILL CAUSE CLASSIC HAVOC"

"...classics won't be roadworthy if they're modified from standard"

"...could take as many as half of British classics off the road"

"What is a classic car?"

"The EU says vehicles of historic interest fulfil the following conditions:

* It was made at least 30 years ago.
* It is maintained by replacement parts which reproduce the historic components of the vehicle.
* It has sustained no change in technical characteristics of engine, brakes, steering or suspension.
* It has not been changed in appearance."

Richard :(

Elan with Duratec and Elan with Zetec

Yawn!
Chassis is a chassis
engine is an engine
gearbox is a gearbox
brakes are brakes
body is a body

technically no different to original. Original items were not type approved under TUV rules, does that mean they have to be removed from the road?

next subject please
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 am

Spyder fan wrote: next subject please

Proposed (UK) laws to govern the hire of classic cars for weddings!

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:46 am

Richard,
That Classics Weekly rag is a jolly good read, and lots of cassified adverts to drool over, best few bob I've spent in ages.

Elf and Safety, strike again with regards to the wedding hire thing. :roll:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 pm

The sky is falling... The sky is falling...
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: