Esprit for sale...no affiliation

PostPost by: cal44 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:13 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lotus-Es ... 3a77e811d6

I don't care what some say about these............I think it is about the neatest thing on planet Clair.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:01 am

Cool car Mike. Run that interior by the better half before bringing it home though. :)
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanern » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:56 am

This one's been listed several times, never reaching reserve price. I wish the lottery fairy would drop off a winning ticket, I'd go for it.

The Lotus dealer I worked at in St. Louis delivered a new one exactly like this one - same color, same interior. It was very exquisite looking. The Tartan plaid went very well with the exterior color.
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:43 pm

A dramatic looking car, I think it looks better now than it did back in the day, though I'm still not entirely convinced by the interior.

Elanern - can you recall how the car drove? I've never driven an Esprit, I've had a few Europa's, including a couple of 5 speed Specials, great cars for motorway journeys, but I hated the 'guess a gear' change.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanern » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Mazzini,

I don't recall issues with shifting the transmission, I think the linkage was a combination of rods and cables and seemed to work well.

I put a few miles on a new Esprit - I picked up a new one in Iowa that one of our customers in St. Louis wanted, a distance of about 350 miles. It was white, I don't recall the interior color. But I do remember it drove well. It did not have "bottom end" so was a little sluggish on take off, but once into the revs it accelerated well. It handled great although I recall some understeer. The sound from the exhaust was exhilarating, and it was a fairly "civilized" car - for a Lotus - with little to no wind noise and excellent fit and finish.

Cheers,

Ernie
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi Ernie,

Thanks for sharing your memories, it sounds like a great drive. If I were in the States and had the money...but then again that interior, my children would question my sanity (again).

Your comments about the lack of noise made me chuckle, I'm in the process of taking my S2 Elan apart and I've been surprised by the amount of sound deadening material that Lotus put behind the dash on the various glass fibre surfaces - Its a Lotus Elan, it hasn't got a roof, it's made out of GRP, it's going to be really noisy - why did they bother?! I'm sure my S3 didn't have as much.

All the best,

Mazzini
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: