2012 London Olympics

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:42 am

Well, I for one am hugely looking forward to the start of the 2012 Olympics in London this evening. I'm hoping that by the end of the opening ceremony I shall being particularly proud to be British.

I know that it's something of a national pastime to be disparaging about the cost, the disruption, the constant media coverage. However, I am excited about following the sports that interest me over the next four weeks and getting behind Team GB.

The initial ticketing system and lottery getting anything from it put me off applying again. Instead we are heading down to Weymouth on Thursday to watch some of the sailing from the cliff tops. The idea is to take a decent picnic and enjoy the sunshine (yes, well....) and occasionally peer through the binoculars to see what's going on on the water. In other words, we shall take it easy and soak up the atmosphere. For the rest, I'll be watching the TV in the comfort of my own sitting room.

Anyone on here got tickets? If so, for which events?

Game on!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:11 am

Think you may be disappointed at 4 weeks of Olympics as it closes in 17 days time.

However the goodish news is weymouth next thursday is due to be 17 degrees and largely sunny with 0.8mm max of rain - see www.yr.no

It was 38 degrees here yesterday - uncomfortably hot.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:20 am

elanfan1 wrote:Think you may be disappointed at 4 weeks of Olympics as it closes in 17 days time.

You're forgetting the Paralympics! And thanks for the heads up on the weather, Steve.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:26 am

And 24 different BBC HD channels to watch the Olympics on.
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Coupe wrote:And 24 different BBC HD channels to watch the Olympics on.

Hope they keep that bloke Bond off 'em! He's getting on me nerves. :x "Balance"? :roll:

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Yawn! :twisted:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:59 pm

nebogipfel wrote:Yawn! :twisted:

Typical! I bet you'd feel differently if dwile flonking was an Olympic sport! :roll:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... afety.html

R :wink:
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:24 pm

I watched 'Bertie and Dickie' a couple of nights ago about an unlikely pairing for the men's double sculls in 1948....a fabulous play which has put me in the mood for the Olympics. So it's the opening ceremony with a feast and plenty of red grape juice for me this evening!

I enjoy the rowing and sailing as well Tim, but I'm not so sure about sailing from the cliff tops....sounds a tad dangerous to me!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:47 pm

trw99 wrote:Well, I for one am hugely looking forward to the start of the 2012 Olympics in London this evening.

Anyone on here got tickets? If so, for which events?

Game on!

Tim

Despite applying many times in the various lotteries we've managed to get absolutely nothing! So we're flouncing off to France tomorrow morning (not in the Elan unfortunately).

My son is involved in the opening ceremony for the Paralympics though so he's had to attend a number of rehearsals at the stadium - last one on Wednesday evening, and he was very impressed by what he saw of tonight's opening - to the point of convincing us to watch it.

I wasn't too impressed by public transport when he had to get back to rural Oxfordshire afterwards as faced with a 6.00am start on Thurs I had to collect him from the station at 2.00am.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:05 pm

If you have not had enough of the Olympics by September you can attend the Goodwood Revival and have a go at umbrella jousting !!!

I used to enjoy the Revival when you attended to watch car racing.

Based ?Over The Road?, this area of Revival will offer an exciting array of vintage stores, live music, food, drink and much more.

The Chap Olympiad

Hosted by The Chap Magazine, this tournament involves games such as Umbrella Jousting and the Cucumber Sandwich Discus Throw, the mind boggles. Participants are rewarded for panache, savoir-faire and charming smiles rather than sporting prowess
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I watched 'Bertie and Dickie' a couple of nights ago about an unlikely pairing for the men's double sculls in 1948....

....and that's exactly what we should have done this time. The organisers should stop this constant one upmanship and face economic reality. We should have "manned up" as a nation and led the way by having a 2012 version of the austerity olympics.

The nation will still be paying for it long after quite a few of us are pushing up daisies and that is a high price to pay for some sport and a bit of urban regeneration.

IMO of course :twisted: :D
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1558cc » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Seems almost contentious to admit that we have tickets....for this weekend....tennis and basketball :lol:
Oh and paralympics as well, oh well just the M25 to navigate tomorrow morning!!
Anyone planning on watching Farmer Boyle's Good Life at 9pm?
1558cc
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Have been watching it on the TV since the start of the ceremony & have thoroughly enjoyed it. My 8 year old has been having a ball with the entertainment.

Away with all you naysayers - get behind it. Enjoy it as a thoroughly professional & fabulous occasion the like of which you will not see again in this country for at least 50 years......

Oh & we did get tickets - for Sunday nights football - which I don't think should be an Olympic sport anyway but hey-ho !!
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:28 am

Wow! Eccentric, charming, surprising, British! Fabulous opening ceremony. Well done London.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:11 am

richardcox_lotus wrote:Away with all you naysayers -

Don't panic, it's only me .... :D

richardcox_lotus wrote:.......you will not see again in this country for at least 50 years......

and at least I can take some comfort from that :twisted:

PS at least my TV is having a nice rest :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: