UK classic cars to be exempt from MOT

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Mon May 21, 2012 12:58 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326

Shame they aren't going to make it for the same age as the tax exemption. Only for pre 1960 so our Elans will miss out.
I have to MOT mine shortly. I think it did only a few 100 miles since the last one i.e. to the MOT station and back probably being the main journey. Hopefully will be more this year.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Practical Classics mag was running a few articles on the pros and cons of this.

I think it goes something like;

Pros = Most MOT stations would not know how to test them and these vehicle cover very few miles.
Cons = If there is no annual MOT how is a driver that is not mechanically minded going to know the vehicle is safe?

I think most of the people that drive pre 1960s cars are probably the restorers so know more about these cars than any MOT tester.

May be this will be revised in a few years to a simplified MOT for older cars?

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon May 21, 2012 6:37 pm

although not compulsory I imagine most would put theirs through just for peace of mind .
OK not many miles may be clocked up in a year so mechanical wear and tear not an issue...
.. but what about leaking brake cylinder rubbers or such like?
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 pm

I think most people will be forced to attend the 'voluntary test' by insurance companies. I guess a non tested car will attract a higher insurance premium? For the sake of ?30 to ?50 most people will take it for the test.
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Henry VIIII » Tue May 22, 2012 2:10 am

Keith Scarfe wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326

Shame they aren't going to make it for the same age as the tax exemption. Only for pre 1960 so our Elans will miss out.
I have to MOT mine shortly. I think it did only a few 100 miles since the last one i.e. to the MOT station and back probably being the main journey. Hopefully will be more this year.

I wouldn't want to NOT have an MOT, as far as I am concerned, it is a relatively cheap independent assessment of the road-worthyness of my Elan. Well worth the money.

I can understand the pointlessness of having an MOT on really, really old classics that can barely make 30mph, but heck our Elans are still capable of doing at least 115 MPH and we do tend to throw them around when we take them out, we wouldn't really want something to break under those conditions, if it was something that could have been spotted by an MOT test guy.
Henry
1967 S3 FHC
A joke a day helps you work, rest, and play. :lol:
Henry VIIII
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: