BABY Elan ... not on here please.

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 pm

Ladies and Gents,

I know this topic arises from time to time but I would like to make a request, that here on Lotuselan.net we encourage folk to call a Lotus Elan Just that!

It's not a baby, micro, tiny, fluffy, infant or any other meaningless term it's a Lotus Elan.

This has nothing to do with masculinity, penises or anything else it's simply wrong. As has been said before, imagine how irritating it would be for the Plus 2 if they were to become big, bloated, stretched, lardy or whatever :shock:

There should be no confusion, there is only one Lotus Elan. There is an Elan Plus 2 (+2) and a Lotus Elan M100 (whatever that is :twisted: which has no place here anyway).

If we can't get it right on this forum, who can/will :?: .

I'm posting in Free Parking because I know the term baby annoys some of us and those who couldn't care less are then free to ignore my request :wink: :) and indeed view it with the contempt it possibly deserves :)
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Salut

Well, if it offends, then I guess the term shouldn't be used - and it was never my intention to offend anyone. 'Drove a baby' sounded a cool/amusing way to put it at the time.

Having said that, as it's such a great car, I don't understand how any owner could be offended whatever it was called. If you've got one the last laugh certainly isn't on you.

I used to follow the Sony PSP scene. When the PSP Slim came out, the older version became known as the PSP Phat. Nobody was offended, perhaps because like the original Lotus Elan, one could do things with the Phat that couldn't be done with the Slim (Hmm - there's an opener for you).

However Elan Slim, and Elan Phat doesn't quite sound right.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:Salut

Well, if it offends, then I guess the term shouldn't be used - and it was never my intention to offend anyone.
Vernon

Good evening Vernon, I'm certainly not offended, it's just one of those things I find irritating and I know I'm not alone.

I just feel on Lotuselan.net we should know better and get it right. :wink:

Regards :)
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:56 pm

It is just not a correct name for the car Vernon.. But hey! ... It will continue to annoy us now n then But ITS NO BIG DEAL..
We do all know that anyone using that name for the car ever means any offence. So relax and get on with the topic now. We do appreciate your input giving us the comparison we really do. So don't go anywhere.

Have fun!! That is the main thing & I'll stand you a beer at Silverstone if you are going... :wink: And I make it ok.... :lol: :lol:

Alex.. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm

John,
Good on you for starting another thread topic......... sorry for being grumpy.

"Baby Elan" is an uneducated term for the original Elan, it's unclear whether this started when the +2 arrived to distinguish the Elan from it's more substantial sibling or whether it existed pre 1967. The term "Baby" to describe any item is very seldom meant as a insult or slight and indeed is often used in an affectionate manner.

Perhaps a prefix of "Baby" is not as bad as a suffix of "Sprint" to some?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:19 pm

I think that it's used more as a term of enderment for something small and cute.

Here's the one that started the term, the world's first 'microcar', and it really was called the B?b?. I saw one last year for the first time at the VSCC hillclimb at Prescott, and it was gorgeous!

Designed by Bugatti, and built by Peugeot.

Mark
Attachments
14-Peugeot-Bebe-BPI_DV_09_PBC_01.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I think that it's used more as a term of enderment for something small and cute.

Hmmm....http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/history/fam ... ace-nelson
Attachments
baby face nelson.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 pm

:) :) :)

Perhaps it's because I didn't have kids, so I'm not scarred with the implications of the term 'baby'. ??!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Henry VIIII » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Elanintheforest wrote::) :) :)

Perhaps it's because I didn't have kids, so I'm not scarred with the implications of the term 'baby'. ??!!

Mark

Drinks a lot and brown goop comes out of the rear end. Doesn't sound too far off-topic.

:wink:
Henry
1967 S3 FHC
A joke a day helps you work, rest, and play. :lol:
Henry VIIII
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanern » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Does this count as a "baby" Elan? Goes with my other "babies" of real/owned vehicles - Z3 and X3. The Viper and Z4 are for show.

I prefer the differentiation Elan and Elan +2 as stated earlier, but am able to tolerate the term "baby Elan" much as I can tolerate calling BMW cars "Beemers" (motorcycles) and not "Bimmers" (the cars). And I cannot tell you how many times folks have looked at my '56 Chevy and said "Wow, that's a great '57, my dad used to have one." No offense ever taken.

Cheers!

100_0403.JPG and
100_0405.JPG and
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:02 am

Hi John,
I agree. Not on here please.
It's curious to read all the responses, I can tell this is not a Porsche 911 . net thing. because they would never have this problem. Maybe we need a few rules? But then would this site be less fun? YES! How could it be more fun?

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:48 am

Ironically the +2 is the only one that could take a baby seat in the back, so if i had one of each and a baby I guess the +2 would be the baby ?lan
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 am

Spyder fan wrote:Perhaps a prefix of "Baby" is not as bad as a suffix of "Sprint" to some?

Hurumph! Don't you start that Alan!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:50 am

trw99 wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:Perhaps a prefix of "Baby" is not as bad as a suffix of "Sprint" to some?

Tim

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tim,
I hadn't heard from you for a while, so I thought I would give you a prod!

Kindest Regards

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 am

Spyder fan wrote:
trw99 wrote:

Tim

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tim,
I hadn't heard from you for a while, so I thought I would give you a prod!

Kindest Regards

Alan

I had a good giggle with that 'prompt'... Aye aye I thought...Tim will be along in a minute... :lol: :lol:

Hook line and sinker.... Hi Tim..... Don't even think about forgetting the kettle!

Al' .....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: