General mayhem and banter

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:40 pm

Good day all,

I was taliking to Orsom Tim this morning about odds'n'sods and we got on to the subject of internet forums. We have both been on heavily moderated forums where if you stray off topic the mod's jump on you, or worse the thread is closed/deleted and both agreed that generally they are not very nice places to spend any time.

We have both been on forums where it is forbidden to comment on parts suppliers or quality of parts supplied. How can this ever be a benefit to forum members? Providing you stick to facts and avoid personal comments it must to be acceptable to say a part is not fit for purpose or a supplier has failed to give reasonable service.

FWIW I think LotusElan.net is an excellent forum. Help is usually provided from the wealth of knowledge of the members but just as importantly we are able to have a bit of laughter and banter along the way. I think it's much like a group of mates meeting in a pub (except for the lack of a pretty barmaid and copious alcohol). We can have a good old natter about Lotus and Lotus lore but at the same time resort to a bit of mucking about and leg pulling.

I'm happy to natter about handbrake pads or fiberglass repairs but if the subject of Katherine Jenkins comes up (Oh No! What have I done), then I may well feel obliged to add a contribution. :D

I think this forum is a generally good natured community and benefits greatly from not having the thread police dogs constantly nipping at our heels.

Anyway, it's coming up to closing time (those were the days) so I'd better get back to work. :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Are you talking to me?

Gary

:D
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:50 pm

piss-ant wrote:Are you talking to me?

Gary

Hello Gary,

I'm talking to everyone :wink:

Merely expressing the view, prompted by my conversation with Tim, that I really like the laid back relaxed community enjoyed on this forum.

We are never going to all agree all of the time, but that would be the same if we were sitting around a table in the local pub. :)
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:57 pm

"General Mayhem" ?

Only in America...$83.95! :roll:

http://sensualsurprises.com/products/vi ... line-t1061

Sergeant Banter where are you?

Cheers - Richard
Last edited by ardee_selby on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:18 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
piss-ant wrote:Are you talking to me?

Gary

Hello Gary,

I'm talking to everyone :wink:

We are never going to all agree all of the time, but that would be the same if we were sitting around a table in the local pub. :)

But we are not "sitting in a bar jawing bout stuff".

Someone asks questions and someone else answers, then there is free parking where life is great. Then we go to mayham were shit flies everywhere. thats anarchy and not mayham.

When the off topics out number the posts that offer what the forum was created for (the discussion of Elans and Plus 2) why should I contribute, only to have the info that I worked to provide buried under someone else's "right" go off on it. START a new topic? eh? not to hard to do, is it? Bit of fun you say, I just don't think so. just my opinion ya know.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Nebi wrote;
We have both been on forums where it is forbidden to comment on parts suppliers or quality of parts supplied. How can this ever be a benefit to forum members? Providing you stick to facts and avoid personal comments it must to be acceptable to say a part is not fit for purpose or a supplier has failed to give reasonable service.

Great topic, lets see what others say.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:15 pm

:oops: :oops: GUILTY :oops: :oops: VERY GUILTY :oops: :oops:

That's me, I'm guilty of thread and topic wrecking recently. Not proud of myself, I can be helpful and informative on the one hand and on the other I can be downright annoying. No need to add comments, I'm my own worst critic :roll:

It's really nice to have forums that are not moderated, and Lotuselan.net is extremely gentlemanly when compared to other sites out there. We don't need to change but perhaps some of us need to use restraint, otherwise it will just become the Bill, Richard, John, Alan and Pete site.

But sometimes:- Out of Chaos comes Order -
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:00 pm

piss-ant wrote:.........I just don't think so. just my opinion ya know.

Gary

And that's fine Gary.......Your opinion and you are free to express it and I get it ...I really do.

I guess you think my post was directed at you? ......that's certainly not the case. I rarely have a problem with the views of others. I don't always agree but I respect your right to express yourself. If I had a problem with a particular post or person I would say so by PM.

My comment, as I stated earlier resulted from a conversation with Tim mainly about other forums we have both experienced.

I see the forum (this excellent one in particular) as a meeting of like minded, but not single minded individuals. We all bring different things to the table in terms of our background, skills and interests and that, for me, is what's great about this forum. That said, I like and enjoy being sociable and love a bit of banter in my daily life so I make no apology for being the same here. Tim and I are a good example, we take the pee out of each other without mercy but we also enjoy a lot of productive conversations and hopefully learn a bit from each other.

If a thread wanders it should not be taken as an insult or that other do not value what you have to say. I know it is meant in good humour, it's just a lot of old codgers having a laugh and certainly from my perspective as I start to see my contemporaries "falling off the perch" introducing a bit of humour into life is pretty much essential :wink:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie to answer your point specifically ....... yes I think if a part is not fit for purpose or a dealer or supplier (after all reasonable attempts to resolve the problem) is still not giving satisfactory service then I think it is in the interests of fellow forum members that the information should be made available so that they can spend their hard earned money elsewhere. Posts of this nature should state simple facts only.
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi nebogipfel

I didn't think you were directing anything toward me, it just seemed like the right "line" to post. Those of us that have been here since 1999 or when ever have seen a lot of folks come and go, some left as it wasn't for them others were offered (insults disguised as banter?) comments that they thought were over the top and just said "bye". Whether you think those folks as thin skin jerks or helpless losers or just enthusiasts with a single minded attitude is up to you. When Elan content drops below a certain level, then it may turn into the top 20 talkers, but I doubt that will happen. You know that there is a binder in Elan ownership and once you have owned one you know the secret handshake. There's not a thing out there on the road that combines it all in a package and can never be duplicated. beside they are so much fun to have your way with. :D

got go for a ride now!!!

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:05 pm

piss-ant wrote:There's not a thing out there on the road that combines it all in a package and can never be duplicated. beside they are so much fun to have your way with. :D

got go for a ride now!!!

Gary

I'm with you 100% on that one Gary :D

Take care out there :wink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think so long as the banter remains good natured ....and certainly will be from my keyboard and that the Lotus chat continues, questions are answered and folk are helped when they need it, the forum is serving it's purpose.

IMO we have a healthy community of individuals here :) Long may it continue.
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:42 pm

piss-ant wrote:once you have owned one you know the secret handshake.
Gary

Hmm, yes, I've been meaning to ask about the secret handshake... :? :? Is that how you get into the clique :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:55 pm

69S4 wrote: Is that how you get into the clique :lol: :lol: :lol:

...... and that's quite enough from you young fella :!: :lol: :lol:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:47 pm

nebogipfel wrote:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think so long as the banter remains good natured ....and certainly will be from my keyboard and that the Lotus chat continues, questions are answered and folk are helped when they need it, the forum is serving its purpose.

IMO we have a healthy community of individuals here :) Long may it continue.

So what?s one to do about the language problems, how is good natured disrespect different from disrespect when you don?t know the person or the persons name or location or anything else about the source. Hard to know what one is saying with smiley face things or oops I forgot the smiley thingy. In a perfect world it works but this ain?t and it doesn?t work every where on the forum.

Gary

beautiful day for a drive!
Lotus ave and damons point.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Hello chaps,
Wasn?t sure whether to get involved with this, being relatively new here :) , but as I feel I?m at least a little bit responsible for Nebog Johns post, here goes.
Having been involved with other forums in the past, covering a variety of subjects, I found many of them to feel a bit like the school class room, you mustn?t say this & you can?t talk about that etc etc, & any attempt to introduce a little friendly banter into a thread is met with a sharp reprimand & you?re left feeling like you?re standing outside the headmasters office ! You can probably guess I didn?t really fit in :) , & found them, well? boring! For this reason, I have to confess, I was a bit reluctant to join in here, but with some gentle encouragement from John, & having followed the threads where he was asking questions on my behalf, you all seemed like a friendly, helpful bunch, not adverse to having a bit of a laugh. IMHO, there?s a good mix of serious, factual disscussion & light hearted chat, as John says, much like you?d get with a bunch of mates with a common interest having a beer or two in the pub. Yes, threads do tend to stray sometimes, but they usually tend to find their way home again, & the main topic remains more or less constant. For me, this actually makes it all the more interesting, I?ve been amazed at some of the knowledge I?ve picked up, both on, & off topic, the disscussion on my chosen username was a completely unexpected education, for a start :) . I would have to agree, this is a bloody good forum with a fine bunch contributing to it! Long may it continue.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:41 pm

well Lotus ?lan owners are by nature not held by traditional standards or mind sets otherwise we would all own Cadillacs that are reliable and don't leak oil and be accountants ., To contain this many creative and intelligent minds would be akin to herding cats --there must be considerations -ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: