New Cast Aluminum Parts

PostPost by: Tahoe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:07 am

This maybe the wrong place to post this, but here's the story. I have access to SolidWorks and have designed many cast parts. I have a friend who is in the automotive aftermarket business and his entire product line is cast Aluminum valve covers, differential covers, and transmission pans. We have known each other for many years in my last job we colaberated on many cast parts for forced injection projects for both Mercedes-AMG, and Roush (Ford). These projects all made it into production and included the Ford Lightning, various Mustangs, the Ford GT (new Ford GT40), SLK32 AMG, McLaren-Mercedes SLR, etc.

Anyway, I just came back from the SEMA show and we discussed working together again. If you can think of any high quality cast aluminum parts that are not being reproduced, or are being reproduced at a premium price for the Elan or any other car let me know. I will do the design work for free and will absorb the cost of the tooling, make sure the casting is quality, and specify all machining, polishing when applicable, etc. I'm just putting out a feeler because if there is no interest or reasonable volume to make it cost effective then this discussion will end here.

Please note I'm currently not in the business of doing this, but we are very serious about partnering up again. His main focus is American Hot Rod stuff, and I would be looking at English, German, and Italian, cars for now.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:48 am

There probably wouldn't be enough interest, but I always thought that a nice aluminum oil pan would be a wonderful thing. The crappy tin sump is an oil leak waiting to happen, a nice cast pan with a true surface ( and a relief for o-ring gasket!!!) would be a big improvement.

Baffling could be a bit of a challenge.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:16 am

elancoupe wrote:There probably wouldn't be enough interest, but I always thought that a nice aluminum oil pan would be a wonderful thing. The crappy tin sump is an oil leak waiting to happen, a nice cast pan with a true surface ( and a relief for o-ring gasket!!!) would be a big improvement.

Baffling could be a bit of a challenge.

Actually an oil pan was the first thing I thought of. It wouldn't be that difficult and I agree that baffleing would be high on the list. Anyone else like that idea? As I said I haven't decided to do this yet but if the interest is there lets here some ideas.

,Russ
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:52 am

I'd be very interested! I think a cast oil pan of high quality would be great! I've been looking for a used pan for the last couple of months so I could weld in some baffles purchased from Dave Bean, .................but to date I have not had any success in purchasing a used Lip Seal (6 bolt crank) pan. Can I have one before Thanksgiving week? I'm putting my new engine on the dyno that week. Let's see what that little puppy will do!?

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:48 pm

If it carried an extra one or two quarts of oil capacity would be a REAL PLUS!!!
Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:35 pm

There are several different oil pans unfortunately as I am sure your aware; the 7 is rear pick up, the Elan front of course, and the different seal versions. I have a Cortina gt (kent) engine in my basement identical to the 7 one excpet with a front pick up, but was evidently accidented with severely damaged oil pan, otherwise fine.
A cast one that was about 1 inch less deep would be nice, but with a slightly larger bottom area to maintain capacity and baffles etc. would be nice. The dry sump ones are pricey and then you have to change out lots of stuff too. (I don't race anything)

There are alloy versions available (ttr?) for the usual steel castings but likely pricey.
Most are steel castings for cost I imagine (and maybe sound) not likely strength for the same thickness so good candidates for Al.

While some may laugh at this - I wondered if the internal diff. casting really needs to be in steel? An FEA would likely suggest an answer to this. One issue may be Al expands at twice the rate of steel so may mess up clearances for the spider gears as the diff heats up.

While on the subject... an FEA on the original Elan chassis would be interesting to see the stressed spots, I regret I am not terribly proficient on CAD or I would to it myself..... :)

Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Hello Russ,

I think two of the best candidates for new cast pieces would be the cast pieces for the rear Chapman struts. The bearing fits get very sloppy and donut breakage can break the ears that mount the calipers.

The second would be the alloy differential housing. The ears get broken off. I have heard of these parts getting cast from magnesium, but they are fragile and expensive.

Just a thought - the cast magnesium and alloy uprights for Lotus sports racing and formula cars are becoming "unobtanium". Problem is not limited to Lotus, either. Brabham, March, etc, have their rare pieces too.

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:53 pm

I was aware of different oil pans, but was hoping that there was one that was the most common. Sometimes it's possible to machine different versions from one casting. I don't know if this is possible without having different types in front of me. Anyone have a thought on that? Here's the most important question. Tooling is expensive so what would you consider to be a fair price for an as cast (not polished or powder coated) pan, machined, and ready to bolt on? This is key, because if the price isn't acceptable there is no reason to even think about it.

As far as the strut housing goes, I do have a pair in storage that I could look at. All you strut experts, was there more than one version?

To be honest I'd rather start with an oil pan or something similar at first and see how it goes. I currently have a job that takes up way too much time so trying to do too many projects would slow things down. Today I'm on vacation so I'll have time to think about it. Just got 6 inches of snow last night so driving the Elan today isn't happening.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Russ

You might also usefully address your questions to some of the usual suppliers. Certainly if you were to have a chat in the UK with or email Susan Miller or Paul Matty I'm sure they would be friendly enough to give you their opinion on demand for aluminium Elan parts.

I thought the rear struts would be a sensible part to look at as well as perhaps door hinges.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:38 pm

Tahoe wrote:I was aware of different oil pans, but was hoping that there was one that was the most common. Sometimes it's possible to machine different versions from one casting. I don't know if this is possible without having different types in front of me.

Russ, this being the Elan and +2 Elan forum, where this discussion is taking place and presumably having relevance to, I can only think of two pans: front sumped lip seal and front sump rope seal.

Hope this helps.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:09 pm

gjz30075 wrote:
Tahoe wrote:I was aware of different oil pans, but was hoping that there was one that was the most common. Sometimes it's possible to machine different versions from one casting. I don't know if this is possible without having different types in front of me.

Russ, this being the Elan and +2 Elan forum, where this discussion is taking place and presumably having relevance to, I can only think of two pans: front sumped lip seal and front sump rope seal.

Hope this helps.

Greg Z

Glad to see that there is interest in the pan. I would be inclined to concentrate on the lip seal pan, I would guess that anyone serious enough to upgrade to this type of pan, might also want to upgrade to lip seal as well.

Another thought might be to contact some of the parts vendors, they could market them, as has been done with some K/O tools
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:16 am

Hi Russ, I was willing to drive up to one of my most favorite places, Lake Tahoe, with my Elan but if you have 6 inches of show already, I'll bring the Volvo.
I want to talk to you about a new part that your talent could help. I'll need between 500 to a 1,000 made up. Lets talk.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:09 am

Hows about making some twin-cam timing cases with external water-pump modules.

They would be in great demand if less expensive than the Burton ones.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:43 am

elancoupe wrote:
gjz30075 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Greg Z

Glad to see that there is interest in the pan. I would be inclined to concentrate on the lip seal pan, I would guess that anyone serious enough to upgrade to this type of pan, might also want to upgrade to lip seal as well.

Another thought might be to contact some of the parts vendors, they could market them, as has been done with some K/O tools

Russ,
I think there could be a significant value in a pan with a proper scraper and baffling not only to ensure oil delivery to the pickup but also to make HP. Any parasitic drag you can reduce from the oil splashing around the crankcase is turned into power at the flywheel. I might have some useful info from formula ford dry sump pan baffling and scrapers that might help. I will see what I can find.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:11 am

Hi,

Id be a buyer of a baffled ally lip seal sump.

I agree with the ally rear upright castings.

Thermostat housing cover, most of mine are getting pretty thin now.

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: