The Big Blow out East

PostPost by: bilcoh » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Not sure who besides Gary might be hit by this storm, but when I heard about it, I was thinking of my workmates in our Boston office, and you guys. Hope all is well, and send pictures if you want to share just how awful it must be.

Cheers, and hoping you've got heat and lights.

Dave
Dave
'66 Elan S2 - 26/4378
bilcoh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 am

This past blow is the 20th anniversary of the Halloween eve - No Name Storm. We got winds of 30 to 40 mph and 2 foot tidal surge yesterday morning. Nothing in comparison to 1991 but it woke me up. To the west of Boston, 40 miles is Worcester and they go 14.6 inches of snow. Somewhere in western Mass got 30 inches and someplace in NH got 36 inches of so. Sounds like 3 or 4 inches of rain that turned to snow depending where you were and how cold it was. Beau's pool is filled with rain water as thats what we got being on the warm side of the front.I hope the Trees stayed standing and it all melts soon. I am going for a drive in the Elan today before winter comes in and brings the driving season to an end.

Just thinking back a bit to yeaterday morning at around 2:30 or 3:00, I was sitting up in bed and I start to hear Goose honking, Well Canada geese were on the Express travailing on night air and picking up another 40 to 50 miles per hour on there migration south. You have to love that some creatures in nature were taking the best advantage of the resources at there disposal. Nothing like a free ride south for the winter.
Attachments
pegotty.JPG and
4 pm yesterday an hour after high tide
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:56 pm

About 25 miles north-west of Boston, we got off relatively easy. There were (and still are) some power outages locally but nothing like what the folks in central and western Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Hampshire are enduring. We only had four or five inches, but it was wet and sticky, and most trees hadn't dropped their leaves, making them vulnerable. Thanks for asking!
Attachments
Oct31_11_16WW.JPG and
No damage on our side. The Elan is safely stashed in the garage behind the station wagon.
TreeDamage_21WW.JPG and
Across the way from us, this large pear tree was destroyed.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: