Edmundo Ros RIP & Elan film of Motor Show 49 yrs ago today.

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:10 am

John Surtees, imho, deserves to get a gong more than someone who was never a world champion on four OR two wheels and was/is very accident prone. :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:30 am

elansprint71 wrote:John Surtees, imho, deserves to get a gong more than someone who was never a world champion on four OR two wheels and was/is very accident prone. :roll:

Pete,

I'm very aware of talking this thread off topic (I'm sure Richard will forgive me) but I don't think any sporting "hero" deserves a gong however much we might admire their skill. They are doing a well paid job which they usually love and we reward them for it. On that basis we should give gongs to plumbers or electricians who are skilled and do a good job. It could be argued they contribute more to ordinary people's lives.

Just because someone can paddle a boat, run or jump or has written some crappy pop songs (Mull of Kintyre :shock: ) or even enjoyed the privileged life of a busy actor doesn't mean they should have honours thrust upon them.

If we must have an honours system then the awards should go to people who have made a real historic contribution to society and/or the well being of others.

So "Paddle boat Pincent" can row a boat .....who cares? .........what difference does it make?

Just an opinion :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:27 am

Elton John, Cliff Richard & "Oooh didn't she do well" were dubbed by a "Queen"!
I wonder if a King would have "honoured" them? :twisted:

Just going to fetch my coat!
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:47 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Elton John, Cliff Richard & "Oooh didn't she do well" were dubbed by a "Queen"!

John

Exactly, they illustrate my point perfectly :wink:

Don't get me on the parasites...sorry monarchy.....slip of the keyboard :twisted:

EDIT: Just noticed I've crunched my way into 5th gear. Isn't it amazing how much cobblers some of us write :!:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:04 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Elton John, Cliff Richard & "Oooh didn't she do well" were dubbed by a "Queen"!

John

Exactly, they illustrate my point perfectly :wink:

Don't get me on the parasites...sorry monarchy.....slip of the keyboard :twisted:

EDIT: Just noticed I've crunched my way into 5th gear. Isn't it amazing how much cobblers some of us write :!:

Not quite the point I tried to make John, my mind seems to work at a "cruder" level than yours; the result of an engineering apprenticeship, my old Dad used to say :wink:

I won't mention "the cobblers"; people in glass houses etc.,etc. :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

nebogipfel wrote:.....................

Ah, a fellow admirer of the Battenburg-Schleswig-Holstein-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family? I thought that I was the only one in their fan club. Pass the AK47, comrade.

With 5th gear comes great responsibility, standards to maintain and all that. :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:53 pm

elansprint71 wrote:
Ah, a fellow admirer of the Battenburg-Schleswig-Holstein-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family? I thought that I was the only one in their fan club.

I think there are quite a few of us around who would like to see the end of that particular anachronism

elansprint71 wrote:
With 5th gear comes great responsibility, standards to maintain and all that. :roll:

Not sure I'm up to it :shock:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:42 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
elansprint71 wrote:
Ah, a fellow admirer of the Battenburg-Schleswig-Holstein-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family? I thought that I was the only one in their fan club.

I think there are quite a few of us around who would like to see the end of that particular anachronism

elansprint71 wrote:

Not sure I'm up to it :shock:

Well, both of you have indicated where you stand regarding "the Royals". :wink:
It is possible that others on here, along with myself that don't agree.
That's it, I've said it :oops:
No discussion from me on the pro's & cons, that's going just too far off topic :wink:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:39 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote: Well, both of you have indicated where you stand...John

Citizen Pete & Ken...but who are the other two? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TxZQClI ... re=related

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:50 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Well, both of you have indicated where you stand regarding "the Royals". :wink:
No discussion from me on the pro's & cons, that's going just too far off topic :wink:

Cheers
John

Don't be embarassed old chap, that's fine. Each to his or her own as they say. :wink:

I strenuously defend your right to tug your forlock, bow down and genuflect before these people who because they happen to be born by dubious accidents of history into a life of obscene wealth, extravagance and privilege are clearly worthy of our admiration and respect :twisted:

I however would be glad to see the back of them :lol:

I agree about going off topic and apologise for doing so, but at the same time a bit of banter is quite entertaining and if it helps I've never met anyone yet who takes any notice of anything I say anyway. :)
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:53 pm

ardee_selby wrote:
GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote: Well, both of you have indicated where you stand...John

Citizen Pete & Ken...but who are the other two? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TxZQClI ... re=related

Cheers - Richard

Power to the people. :lol:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:28 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Well, both of you have indicated where you stand regarding "the Royals". :wink:

Cheers
John

Don't be embarassed old chap, that's fine. Each to his or her own as they say. :wink:

I strenuously defend your right to tug your forlock, bow down and genuflect before these people who because they happen to be born by dubious accidents of history into a life of obscene wealth, extravagance and privilege are clearly worthy of our admiration and respect :twisted:

I however would be glad to see the back of them :lol:

I agree about going off topic and apologise for doing so, but at the same time a bit of banter is quite entertaining and if it helps I've never met anyone yet who takes any notice of anything I say anyway. :)

I am also merely a product of my parents & had no choice in the matter.
Luckily I was born where & when no (well not much) prejudice has/had been pointed in my direction.
It's all just luck of the draw. :roll:

The going off topic excuse was possibly the "best way out"; after all this thread started with Edmundo (who? :lol: ), which could & should lead us in any direction we wish for our entertainment.

My post mentioned being dubbed by "a Queen", not "the Queen"; as is in Freddy Mercury, a sort of twisted play on words when considering the "Stars?" I named & most definitely in the case of Weginald Dwight.
For them to be "honoured" by a King, well let's not go into explanations there hey :shock:

It's all a bit of fun after all 'innit :wink:
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:29 pm

I do support our monarchy.

As you say John, each of us are entitled to our opinions. Indeed, having served HM by taking her commission for 12 years in the army I defended your right to have them and to freely state them, getting shot at and bombed along the way, like a lot of other good blokes.

Funny how I've never needed to say that before now. I guess it's because I don't feel I have to display my political leanings or ideals during the course of a forum discussion.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:39 pm

trw99 wrote:I do support our monarchy.

As you say John, each of us are entitled to our opinions. Indeed, having served HM by taking her commission for 12 years in the army I defended your right to have them and to freely state them, getting shot at and bombed along the way, like a lot of other good blokes.

Funny how I've never needed to say that before now. I guess it's because I don't feel I have to display my political leanings or ideals during the course of a forum discussion.

Tim

Bravo to you Tim. I'm sure that gives you a totally different perspective.

I have nothing but admiration for folk prepared to get shot at in the line of duty but for me that's a different issue altogether.

If somebody invaded Britain today, I'd fight to my last breath but it wouldn't be for the Royal family it would be for my fellow citizens, family and loved ones.

Nevertheless I would not wish to offend so I now will also fetch my coat :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:22 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:I won't mention "the cobblers"; people in glass houses etc.,etc. :lol:

Just to clarify .... I was referring to the cobblers I tend to spout :wink: :lol:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: