What is the best type of bow to use when playing the saw?

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm not sure whether to get a violin bow, viola or cello; any ideas?

I'm not sure about the saw either.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:35 pm

.177" or .22"?
Grease or Oil?

I can count to potato :?
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 pm

How about an L Bow :roll:
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:48 pm

A bow tie or a bow tie?
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spanner » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:08 am

spanner
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:54 am

No matter if it claims to be from a 26r some nit will buy it. Take a bow..ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 am

elansprint71 wrote:I'm not sure whether to get a violin bow, viola or cello; any ideas?

I'm not sure about the saw either.

I still have my father's saw. A Spear and Jackson 'spring temper' Sovereign. No bow, though.

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_sa ... are_played.

It seems that either violin or cello bows are used.

You might like to buy one of these! http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/violin-b ... witzerland

Note the economy delivery!
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:33 am

Get a Nash!

My Friend Frank Nash is into the 20's Nash cars and owns two. One is original and the other is a hot rod. Frank tells the story of one of the Nash club members going to buy a 20's Nash in the Chicago area. He gets it home and takes the back seat out to clean and he got a violin case starring at him, When he opens it the damn thing is worth more then the Nash he just bought. Only problem is getting the Thompson registered with the feds...

Nash cars of the era had wide running boards and they were the preferred tool for the drive by!

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:16 pm

piss-ant wrote:Get a Nash!

My Friend Frank Nash is into the 20's Nash cars and owns two. One is original and the other is a hot rod. Frank tells the story of one of the Nash club members going to buy a 20's Nash in the Chicago area. He gets it home and takes the back seat out to clean and he got a violin case starring at him, When he opens it the damn thing is worth more then the Nash he just bought. Only problem is getting the Thompson registered with the feds...

Nash cars of the era had wide running boards and they were the preferred tool for the drive by!

Gary

Note to members:-

All of Gary's stories are true.
But some of them are truer than others! :lol:

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 pm

It's not mine, its Frank's (see pete, I be lernen) story, some of it may be true even. Its as relevant here as much as the other subjects I read here. This happens to be "free parking" and I try to keep my trash posts here except for all of those trash photos I've been dropping everywhere.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:45 pm

piss-ant wrote:It's not mine, its Frank's (see pete, I be lernen) story, some of it may be true even. Its as relevant here as much as the other subjects I read here. This happens to be "free parking" and I try to keep my trash posts here except for all of those trash photos I've been dropping everywhere.

Gary

Gary, you missed the :lol:in my posting FFS! :wink:
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:06 pm

OK I am clueless DMF, I guess its going around. I don't understand the double language translation? It just doesn't get though to my limited processing ability.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:16 pm

That's the trouble with you folks- all idiots, every man-jack of you. :wink:

I knew that we would get more answers than if I had asked about the paint-code for my tyres or what to rub my trunnions with.

I vaguely remember my Dad having a go at playing a saw when I was tiny, he was rubbish and whilst he did get some notes out of it he also got a slap in the face and some lacerations.

The WIKI entry about toothless saws strikes me a some kind of wind-up, although I can't think of a suitably cutting comment at the moment, I'm feeling hacked off, not sure if I can cope, going round in a circular direction and generally not ... actually I'm going to axe that comment before we get the whole tool-box out.

Is it possible to play BOW SAW- I guess if you have a big enough mouth it would be not unlike a jew's harp.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:04 pm

I thought Stanley SAW the error of its way when the Ferriman [sp/] was invented . it put professional saw players out of bussiness when the Ferrimen was used in star trek and horror movies ---bettter take up the bagpipes ----you know when you have perfect pitch on the pipes?when you throw them in a dumpster and they hit an accordian ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Its things like Dads that make us what we are!
Mine used to make noises on a saw with the bow he made even more horrible noises on a violin & one string fiddle.
The noises from the recorder & tin whistle were less unpleasant but 2 minutes were enough to make everyone leave the room.
His jokes were lousy as well, bless him.
But he could fix cars OK :wink:
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: