The Formation of ?Club Lotus Elan Section"

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Hethel_Haus wrote: However, I question just how helpful it will be to have another website attached to Club Lotus just for this marque information. Isn't this website the perfect repository of all things Elan related?

About the only thing missing here is a unified owner register.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your thoughts.

Re your first point, as I said in my posting above: "This will give access to a large and growing range of information and help, as well as a direct link to the forum here, courtesy of the resourceful Jeff."

And your second point, as above: "We will continue compiling a full register of all Elans and gathering archive materiel which will be accessible via the web site to members."

We see the CLES as being complimentary to this forum. We rejected any idea of starting a separate forum for CLES because this one is so good and has so much excellent information within it. However, there is the need to have the host of materiel that we have gathered available to a wider audience and which is better accessed away from a forum, as Mark points out above.

I hope that we can provide a resource that becomes the central repository of all things Elan and we welcome ideas for developing CLES from all.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:14 am

Hi

I have been having a good think about what I as a person restoring (slowly) a +2 would like to see on this page. I understand from Tim that this is separate from Club Lotus but within their new web page. I think this forum and the Elan Registry are the best 2 pages on the internet for these cars, but there is something missing. It has been said on here over and over again; its a library of all the info in one place. I note:

to gather and record appropriate archive material, to maintain registers

This is 100% what is missing and to some extent Club Lotus tried to do this with their technical notes but they are old fashioned printed paper, if these could be updated in the style of Haynes (step by step with pics) and put on the web page that would be great. There is also a huge amount of mag pages, brochures, archive photos, parts compatibility lists, the Lotus Workshop and Parts Manuals and the Lotus factory archive data which many people have not seen. A lot of this info is available on the web but someone needs to get copyright approval and bring it into one place; I really hope you guys are the ones to do this. :)

I am not surprised that Club Lotus are happy for you guys to add to their web page; I think this is what they have been lacking for years. This will refresh Club Lotus and boost membership.

Well done guys.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:09 pm

There already is quite a lot of tech info on Elan.net, access is via the front page. I'm as guilty as the next man of skipping by this and just plunging into the discussion forums. Obviously not everything is there but there is a surprising amount. I have some of the tech notes from Graham Arnold- bits of copied paper typed out on a real typewriter (I wish I could find that font for my e-mails!).
Jim Boone's Unibrain Elan Registry is superb, I was not aware that were others- what are they?
And... it turns out that club Lotus is a bit like Hotel California- you can check out any time you like but you can never leave. My subscription has been renewed, so I look forward to participating in this excellent initiative, well done, lads.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Jim Boone's Unibrain Elan Registry is superb, I was not aware that were others- what are they?

My favourite sites for info are:

1. This one of course Lotuselan.net
2. http://www.elanregistry.org/
3. http://www.type50.com/plus2/Technical.html

I am not sure the Manuals in the last website are copyright cleared but handy.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Jason1 wrote:

My favourite sites for info are:

1. This one of course Lotuselan.net
2. http://www.elanregistry.org/
3. http://www.type50.com/plus2/Technical.html

I am not sure the Manuals in the last website are copyright cleared but handy.

Jason

#1 is ... us.
#2 is Jim Boone's Unibrain Registry and..,
#3 is a duff link to, presumably, +2 only register.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:20 am

elansprint71 wrote:#3 is a duff link to, presumably, +2 only register.

Pete, if you click on the manuals section there is some stuff there. Looks like a work in progress.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 am

stugilmour wrote:
elansprint71 wrote:#3 is a duff link to, presumably, +2 only register.

Pete, if you click on the manuals section there is some stuff there. Looks like a work in progress.

HTH

I had not got that far down the page! The Weber idiot's guide is very useful, not too complex and a pretty good translation.

The need to get the "Disclaimer" working pretty quickly- something along the lines of "We understand absolutely nothing about international Copyright legislation, please do not prosecute us if we have stolen your intellectual property". :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:15 pm

The inaugural page looks good, shame that the linked website page trumpets the proposed new Elan, which is noted as being cancelled (no surprise there, then) in the magazine.

The magazine page makes no mention of M100s being part of this venture (in fact it uses the words "original Lotus Elan and +2), whilst the web-page does include these totally unrelated cars. Clarification required?

Don't even get me started on the cringe-worthy magazine editorial and "the facts" around ethanol on page 24 :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Pete

This is a holding page only. There is a great deal of work going on currently and you will see the benefit come through, I assure you. We have to check over all the pages that are being put together because we want to get it right.

The M100 Elan is only mentioned because we want to have a small photo of one up there saying something along the lines 'If you are interested in this version of the Elan, go away to the ... site'! The new Elan will not be covered either. I think the second paragraph of the CL News item is very clear about which types of Elan will be catered for by the CLES.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 pm

trw99 wrote:Pete

This is a holding page only. There is a great deal of work going on currently and you will see the benefit come through, I assure you. We have to check over all the pages that are being put together because we want to get it right.

The M100 Elan is only mentioned because we want to have a small photo of one up there saying something along the lines 'If you are interested in this version of the Elan, go away to the ... site'! The new Elan will not be covered either. I think the second paragraph of the CL News item is very clear about which types of Elan will be catered for by the CLES.

Tim

:D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 pm

trw99 wrote:Jason

We have only recently made the announcement to elan.net listers that the CLES is being formed and that it would be 'officially' launched in the July 2011 edition of Club Lotus News. That is when we hope the CLES page/portal will be open on the CL web site.

Give us a chance! :lol:

Tim

Any news Tim? I just visited the CL Elan page and, unless I'm doing something wrong, nothing seems to work.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm currently spending most time helping to organise the Silverstone Classic 50th celebrations and particularly the Elan only race.

Then the July edition of Club Lotus News will be a 50th celebratory edition so I need to write up articles for that.

The web site will start to get developed soon, though it is out of my hands to a large extent. Like me, the CL web master also has to work for a living and it needs to be fitted in around normal life, as usual!

On top of all that I'm co-authoring a book too!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 pm

trw99 wrote:I'm currently spending most time helping to organise the Silverstone Classic 50th celebrations and particularly the Elan only race.

Then the July edition of Club Lotus News will be a 50th celebratory edition so I need to write up articles for that.

The web site will start to get developed soon, though it is out of my hands to a large extent. Like me, the CL web master also has to work for a living and it needs to be fitted in around normal life, as usual!

On top of all that I'm co-authoring a book too!

Tim

Understood; I would not be surprised if there are folks on here who could lend a hand but, as you say, we ain't CL. :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Totally pointless comment from me as usual but I think it's a pity the Elan Club doesn't exist as a separate entity or "register" with it's own membership.

I applaud what Tim and Co are doing but for me most of Club Lotus is of little interest. I love classic Lotus and Elans in particular but have no interest in modern Lotus, the company or it's products.

But that's just me of course ........

PS. Gorgeous avatar Pete :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: