Which is the ultimate family sports car?

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi john,

Yes batch of cars around 2002 > were not rustproofed as an economy measure apparently. The DB7 is on my list too but they are approx twice the price of the XK8 and they are not twice as good.

I agree though. The DB is a very nice looking car. The Vantage (DH) sure is a thing of great beauty. The best in my eyes. But the xk does not half give you an amazing amount of car for the money..

Take your pick. You back in UK now?

Al' .......
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Uboat,
I think you're right to consider the stag . Adults are fine in the back as long as you have a properly fitting bootlid & seal 'cos they suffer from fumes otherwise . One with the optional hardtop is a must for you in sweden ! Rover conversions will be very much cheaper and will be mostly automatics . An original stag engined one with manual gearbox will cost you the most. But they are dirt cheap really
good luck .
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:43 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Hi john,

Yes batch of cars around 2002 > were not rustproofed as an economy measure apparently. The DB7 is on my list too but they are approx twice the price of the XK8 and they are not twice as good.

I agree though. The DB is a very nice looking car. The Vantage (DH) sure is a thing of great beauty. The best in my eyes. But the xk does not half give you an amazing amount of car for the money..

Al' .......

Well I'll have to see how much cash I have left after the big move.
"An economy measure", that's got to be a joke on a car that had a starting price of 75k; FoMoCo influence I suppose?
I also remember that the early ones weren't up to it suspension wise & that there were some trick mods that could be made.
Were the later ones better?
My Elan is on its way to "the Island" & I'll be following early in July.
Millions of things to do here & in GB before it all happens; pure stress!
It'll be ages before I get my garage & new workshop there all sorted, so I guess I'll be using the Peugeot to get up to Donington in August.

Cheers
John

Oh errrm sorry for drifting off subject guys; bad habits die hard :oops:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:05 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:
alexblack13 wrote:Hi john,

Al' .......

Were the later ones better?

I dont know!. I was reading up on the DB7 a short while ago in Classic buyer mag and the report highlighted the possibility and said quite a few owners were ''taken aback by what was found'' ..... !! said to give the car a thorough check for bad rust.

Blimey thought I... Or similar!

Al' ......
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:25 pm

I found this very interesting alternative, the Lancia Beta Spider

+ Twin cam family
+ Cheap to buy and drive
+ Good handling
+ Fairly smart loooking

- Panels made of soviet steel combined with italian car industry strikes = RUST!

What do you all think of that??
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (12.09 KiB) Viewed 554 times
1974 Lotus Elan +2 130/5
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: