Car polish

PostPost by: jimj » Sun May 15, 2011 10:05 am

Liking the car to look nice I thought I`d get the colour gleaming with Meguiar`s Quick (yeah, right) Clay Detailing Kit. You get a spray lubricant of nice smelling water, a cloth, 2 pieces of clay, and a "FREE" small sooperdooper polish, all for about ?20. I provided the elbow grease, plenty of, and some impurities did appear in the clay as I worked it all over the car except for half the bonnet. The impurities were somewhat less than normally comes off on the cloth when polishing. I suspect that applying that much effort with a pair of old damp underpants would be quite effective anyway. I polished the clayed half of the bonnet with the sooperdooper polish and the other half with the usual cheap Carplan polish. I really can`t tell the difference.
A man with the experience meets a man with the money, the man with the experience leaves with the money, the other man leaves with the experience.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun May 15, 2011 10:37 am

the absolute best polish for fiberglass cars is spray can furniture polish wont build up and is quick and easy -[like the girls I used to date ] ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun May 15, 2011 12:03 pm

My money is on AUTOGLYM,well pleased...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun May 15, 2011 1:06 pm

I am a fan of clay detailing, but it works best on cars that haven't been polished much, such as moderns, than only get a run through a car wash a few times a year. After several years of this, the bits and pieces that build up make the paintwork feel like sandpaper, and it is this that the clay gets rid of. My Lotus gets a little more attention and gets washed properly by hand regularly with a good wax every now and then. I have used clay on the lotus, but it needs very little effort, because there is so little build up of pollution. I save it for special occasions where I want a flawless finish.

The effect of clay detailing on modern, neglected paintwork is magic.. but hard work.

No connection to any suppliers, just my experience of Sunday afternoons.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Jim,
You being a man of wealth and taste (I have some sympathy for you, you old devil) I would have thought that the only wax for you would be that Swiss stuff which retails at about 550 quid for a thimble-full.

I'm with Cleggie, Auto-Glym does a good job and is not too hard to apply. I've still got a tin of Simoniz wax, which refuses to go away; I bought it in 1974, does a great job but is hard work.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_763123_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

Turtle wax was good but H&S regs say that you can't use real turtles anymore.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat May 21, 2011 5:58 am

elansprint71 wrote:Turtle wax was good but H&S regs say that you can't use real turtles anymore.

:lol: I almost sprayed my tea over the keyboard at that..... excellent !

Back on topic, I've used that Mer stuff you can get from Costco. It seems cheap enough to me, or at least compared with the stuff in our local Halfords. And like the OP, I can't tell any difference in the shine.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:23 pm

I never knew turtles needed waxing. Guess it makes them walk faster. :lol:

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat May 21, 2011 1:31 pm

FWIW - I have been using the 3M system of polishes, glazes and wax's , I got them from the local Glasurit/PPG paint dealer on there recommendation - not too expensive and they have product from most circumstances -
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat May 21, 2011 1:46 pm

gjz30075 wrote:I never knew turtles needed waxing. Guess it makes them walk faster. :lol:

Greg Z

Nah, makes the Sun reflect off them so makes them a bit cooler & prevents sun-burn.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi guys.
I am using one of the carnauba wax type polishes. Called 'Greased lightning' It is a waterless wash / wax system ... looks like sour cream and 'splits' in the bottle. A good shake before applying and its quick and very easy to use. Comes in a large container with a hand pumped aerosol applicator for humphing about with you in the car! Brilliant shine.. Got the 'tip' from a classic nut along the street from me, and he bought me some when he got more stock for himself. He is an expert 'detail er' and knows what he's about.

I likes it!! It is dear but awfy good....

http://www.greasedlightning.co.uk/?gcli ... fAodz2xXTQ
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oillite » Sat May 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Being a tight wad :( I use Vauxhall VxR Sonax carnauba hard wax because they were selling it off very dirt cheap at Brands Hatch (4quid a tin. I'm told that an large American motorcycle company flog the same stuff for ?40 ago) and Mr Sheen from the 99p shop, use it on all my bikes and cars in fact when I took the vixer up to Walkinshaws for its upgrade the manager commented on the depth of shine! :D
oillite
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: