Quote: "Why are Americans so angry about petrol prices?"

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Remind me John, when is that you come back to live in the UK? :wink:

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri May 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Pernod... Absinth would equate to 5* leaded than I suppose?
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri May 13, 2011 9:03 pm

WELLLL over ere -MOST FOLKS DRIVE A FAIR DISTANCE TO WORK SO WHEN A FILL UP GOES FROM 40 DOLLARS TO 150 DOLLARS THAT MEANS LESS DISPOSABLE INCOME , TRUCKING COSTS INCREASE SO FOOD COSTs and commodity costs FOLLOW SUIT AND THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO PROSPER ARE THE STUPIDLY RICH Saudies and the speculators so my next car is going to be a Chevy Volt and piss on the Arab sates that hold us hostage with the oil that the Yanks developed for them . . Every one craps on the U.S. so as a Canadian neighbour of Scots descent I must point out the ex WW 2 enemies were rebuilt by the Yanks to high out put societies and everyone still bitches about the Yanks so buy a beer for the next Yank you see in a pub and say a thank you because if it wasn't for the U.S. you Brits would be speaking German now ==[ with the Scots no one could tell]===== The Afghans and other Arabian countries probably have a treat coming after their wars are over for their rebuild ------I wonder who won the bloody war some times --Detroit looks like Dresden after the bombing and Tokyo resembles Disney Land --any questions or parts not understood????-ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat May 14, 2011 11:34 am

Well Richard, you have the answer to your original question!!

That was great, Ed, I haven't laughed so much in ages. I thought I was reading a script from the Simpsons, with Homer's view of the world wrapped up in one paragraph.

Just remember........."The secret is to say that you're prejudiced against all rascists" (Homer Simpson)
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat May 14, 2011 12:09 pm

The truth is incontrovertible , malice may attack it , ignorance may deride it , but in the end ; there it is ----Winston Churchhill --------

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat May 14, 2011 1:37 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:I will never forget an Uncle of mine who when looking at the tide race in the Severn at Portishead, said to me as a little lad, "look at all of that potential energy!"
Now nobody can raise the funds to put a barrier across that stretch of water; what a waste.
Oh & the "green" & "NIMBY" arguments against just do not add up. :twisted:

John,

Would you mind explaining what the tide race in the Severn at Portishead is? What did you mean about putting a barrier across a stretch of water? What are "green" & "NIMBY" arguments? :?
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat May 14, 2011 1:55 pm

well [if I may Frank] ---the idea is to direct and control oceanic tidal surge , as in the Ruritan and Navasinc rivers in New Jersey , only on a larger scale to drive generators [ like a horizontal Niagara falls ] and produce hydro electricity. nimby is the ' not in my backyard 'group as they would use the power but don't want to put up with the noise and inconvenience and the environmentalists worry the blockage will cause damage to some species depending on that area for survival and some in Gloucestershire run in circles peering into their anuses for answers ---ed ----- no doubt this will bring another red warning from the moderator
Last edited by twincamman on Sat May 14, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat May 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Frank Howard wrote:
GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:I will never forget an Uncle of mine who when looking at the tide race in the Severn at Portishead, said to me as a little lad, "look at all of that potential energy!"
Now nobody can raise the funds to put a barrier across that stretch of water; what a waste.
Oh & the "green" & "NIMBY" arguments against just do not add up. :twisted:

John,

Would you mind explaining what the tide race in the Severn at Portishead is? What did you mean about putting a barrier across a stretch of water? What are "green" & "NIMBY" arguments? :?

Well I'll do my best :roll:
The Severn is a river or also known as an estuary which separates England from Wales.
Portishead is a coastal town on that estuary & is almost opposite Cardiff in wales.
It is in this region that the estuary starts narrowing into what eventually becomes a river.
The Severn has what I understand to be the 2nd highest tidal difference in the World at 45ft.
The rise & fall of the tide alone would provide a massive amount of potential energy but the narrowing of the estuary means that the mass of water is accelerated & to watch it flow past Portishead is really something to behold.
Recently a scheme to harness that energy by building a barrier, with water turbines in it across its path, was dismissed by the "Government" due to insufficient funds.
Britain now plans to build more nuclear power stations to provide the needed electricity.
Of course it is common knowledge that there is a mass of uranium in Britain, not :evil:

"Green" = "Tree huggers" a derisive term probably taken from the "Green Peace" organisation who in my opinion actually do a lot of good work.

NIMBYs = Not In My Back Yard: Their best known argument is against wind farms
"they spoil our view"

IMHO both of these groups cannot see the "wood for the trees" & think that the production of electricity can go on as is; or with additional nuclear reactors.
As far as I know there is still no way of disposing of radioactive waste safely.
That IS a problem we'll be loading on to future generations, much like we did with channeling our waste into the oceans but much, much worse

Please note; the Italics portion is just my opinion & not shared by all :|

Hope that has helped a little?
Cheers
John
Last edited by GrUmPyBoDgEr on Sat May 14, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat May 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Frank I don't think those in Minnesota have this option --unless the Navy has moved inland quite a bit -- :lol: --ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat May 14, 2011 2:25 pm

BBC article on the Severn Barrier proposal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11565056
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat May 14, 2011 3:34 pm

John,

Thanks for the explanation and Bill, thanks for the link. I actually Google Mapped the area and I learned quite a bit about England. What I found most interesting is that it appears that the Greens had to choose between wildlife and clean air. Apparently, they chose wildlife.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat May 14, 2011 3:50 pm

on my occasional visit to the falls I am struck by the lack of dead fish floating in the basin . I would think the drop would kill many or being sucked through the turbines there would result in a huge guspatchio soup with tons of raw fish bits floating around . The only damage to wildlife seems to be the odd tourist who falls in and results in a slight pinkish discharge into the river , but that is not enough to discourage me from turning on the light switch at night ---ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun May 15, 2011 1:50 pm

When I first started driving/riding motorcycles in 1974, Petrol/gas cost around the price of two pints of beer per (UK) gallon. Currently 6 quid will struggle to get two pints of good beer - fizzy cr*p maybe. Recent price increases are pushing this scale out of sync, but given time I'm sure beer prices will soon rise to match.

The two commodities have always seemed to track each other in price (give or take a bit), but I haven?t seen many beer tankers being turned away from pubs in protest... What is the split in other countries?

However, Mark is right, I can brew my own beer but petrol is more difficult.

I am with Jay Leno on the issue of petrol/gas ? it is a finite resource so it makes sense to reduce dependency on it and save it for the more important things, like running fast cars.

As regards the economics of post war nations, think about the differences between the aftermath of WW1 & WW2 and the role of the former on the cause of the latter and how this feeds into any conflict where there is a winner and a loser.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:57 pm

JJDraper wrote:......Currently 6 quid will struggle to get two pints of good beer - fizzy cr*p maybe. ........
Jeremy

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/

?1:56 a pint near me, same in all their pubs as far as I can tell. Top-quality, prize-winning stuff too. :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun May 15, 2011 2:35 pm

If it was ?1.56 a pint near me, I'd be dead by now....or bloody enormous!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: