Lotus Elan

Tide's in and looking deep - Frank's S2 SE gets a new nose

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:27 pm

summerinmaine wrote:Gary,

Based on your directions, I Google-Earthed your place, and could swear I saw at least one Elan body shell in your side yard. Is that the infamous hay-catcher?


http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=67+ ... CBEQ8gEwAA

I have some understanding neighbors that humor my collecting. Of course it doesn't hurt that I keep adding to the 25 foot long brush pile with each storm to keep folks seeing from complaining. What you see are two junk Elan S2's stacked to the north, south of them are a pair of Cortina nose's, next to the garage is another Cortina, a Mustang in the driveway along with Beau's F250 doghouse. 8 cars in the garage and one it the shed. Across town is a 42 foot trailer with 4 more cars. The Trailer is on much higher ground so if I get flooded all is not lost. Its nice to have a few spares you know. There's another Elite in Maryland just to play it safe...
User avatar
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3128
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.

PostPost by: gordont » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Google earth is great isn't it, I am guessing the 2nd house on LHS when heading south down Kent st. Alas have tried google earthing my house and no sign of my elan.

Hopefully the waters have subsided for you.

Gordon

argh just realised the satellite pic of my house is atleast 3 years old, how often are these updated?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 617
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:31 pm

garyeanderson wrote:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=67+ ... CBEQ8gEwAA

I have some understanding neighbors that humor my collecting. Of course it doesn't hurt that I keep adding to the 25 foot long brush pile with each storm to keep folks seeing from complaining. What you see are two junk Elan S2's stacked to the north, south of them are a pair of Cortina nose's, next to the garage is another Cortina, a Mustang in the driveway along with Beau's F250 doghouse. 8 cars in the garage and one it the shed. Across town is a 42 foot trailer with 4 more cars. The Trailer is on much higher ground so if I get flooded all is not lost. Its nice to have a few spares you know. There's another Elite in Maryland just to play it safe...



Looks nice. Your verbal directions were spot on.

My neighbors have been fairly tolerant as well. Even as I got as high as 14 vehicles onsite, with only a three car garage.

The only serious objection has been to my BajaHeep, as seen below (Elan is peeking out of the garage):

Image

Now that I've thinned the herd substantially (got rid of four cars and four motorcycles and, apparently, one wife) I'm down to a more manageable two cars and four MCs), but the BajaHeep is my daily driver until the Elan is resurrected. :lol:
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
User avatar
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt County, California

PostPost by: Mark B » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Blimey Gary, that's quite a collection. I take your garage is rather large if it houses 8 cars? :D

garyeanderson wrote:
summerinmaine wrote:Gary,

Based on your directions, I Google-Earthed your place, and could swear I saw at least one Elan body shell in your side yard. Is that the infamous hay-catcher?


http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=67+ ... CBEQ8gEwAA

I have some understanding neighbors that humor my collecting. Of course it doesn't hurt that I keep adding to the 25 foot long brush pile with each storm to keep folks seeing from complaining. What you see are two junk Elan S2's stacked to the north, south of them are a pair of Cortina nose's, next to the garage is another Cortina, a Mustang in the driveway along with Beau's F250 doghouse. 8 cars in the garage and one it the shed. Across town is a 42 foot trailer with 4 more cars. The Trailer is on much higher ground so if I get flooded all is not lost. Its nice to have a few spares you know. There's another Elite in Maryland just to play it safe...
Mark B
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 119
Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Location: Cheshire, UK

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Mark

The orange Bugeye (Frogeye) left in October so now only 8, 6 are visible in this picture. The TVR Grantura mkIIa, ElanS4 SE Coupe, and mk1 LoCort are not. Only the green S2 in the middle runs the rest are projects.

Image
User avatar
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3128
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 am

summerinmaine wrote:
garyeanderson wrote:
..................
Now that I've thinned the herd substantially (got rid of four cars and four motorcycles and, apparently, one wife)............. :lol:


Hey; life in the colonies, eh? How many wives are you allowed these days? Here in the old country, we are allowed as many as we deserve......... :cry:

Have you thought of building some sort of bund to keep the fish out of your garage? Reading the latest predictions today it seems like we are all in for a change of water-levels.



Climate-change? My arse. Solar activity, I can accept.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4092
Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Location: Cheshire, UK.

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:41 am

elansprint71 wrote:
summerinmaine wrote:
..................
Now that I've thinned the herd substantially (got rid of four cars and four motorcycles and, apparently, one wife)............. :lol:


Hey; life in the colonies, eh? How many wives are you allowed these days? Here in the old country, we are allowed as many as we deserve......... :cry:


It used to be an inside joke when I would introduce her as "my first wife." Not quite as funny these days.

But, back to Elans. They may be frustrating, but not nearly as fickle.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
User avatar
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt County, California

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Pete,

Quantities vary by location. Polygamy is possible here in the colonies . However i had no idea it was a carried over from the UK , definitely didn't come over with the pilgrims ...

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 936
Joined: 21 Sep 2003

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:42 am

Hello Gary, do you wanna sell any of your junk S2 s ?
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio

PostPost by: batfish » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:52 am

gary

Weather looks really bad for you. Hope you survived.

regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 278
Joined: 09 Oct 2003
Location: Staffordshire

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi Andy

Beau and I were on the good side of Irene. The winds were 20 to 30 mph out of the south most of the day with an occasional gust to 50 or so. I expected rain and we got some but not what the folks had that were to the west received. There is no cleanup work and we had no tide issues. I like it when the wind comes out of the south, there is a large peninsula that wraps the south and east side called Cape Cod. Good protection except when the wind is out of the Northeast. I hope that others that were in Irene's path have faired as well as I have.

Gary
User avatar
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3128
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:14 pm

No flooding or damage for us (north-west of Boston) but no power since late Sunday morning. We had impressive periods of heavy rain but we're on a hill so that was not a problem. The storm center passed to the west of us and the worst of the rain was west of the center. As is usually the case following passage of a big storm, it is an absolutely perfect day today.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
User avatar
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 681
Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Massachusetts

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:27 pm

I was looking at old photos of my house build to remember the details of the corner bracing. I walked by a few moments ago and saw the the tide was about the same and the photo flashed in my mind. I got the goodwill camera out and snapped this after shot. The before shot is 1983 there were 24 homes on the barrier beach, October 30th 1991 took 8 away (and opened up my view :) ) 2 were rebuilt and 6 bought up by the commonwealth. Its a sinking feeling to think that things can change fast. Lots of days like today can lull you into forgetting that fact

early inside2.JPG and


early inside today.JPG and


Be safe

Gary
.
User avatar
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3128
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.

PostPost by: memini55 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:34 am

What the heck is the funny object in the room with a tpe measure on top?? Looks dangerous!
User avatar
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 474
Joined: 09 Jan 2004
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:40 am

replacement work bench
User avatar
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3128
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests