Tide's in and looking deep - Frank's S2 SE gets a new nose

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:59 am

Looks like I got caught napping, 50mph and a decent tide and the side yard is covered in ocean again. About 45 minutes til high tide and I think the garage will still be dry but it looks like it will be within a foot. I just love the guessing game of should I move stuff to higher ground or leave it. Well I left it all in place and time will tell if I messed up. I need to go and have a look outside, at least its been mostly rain and thae snow has not materialized, I just hate it when the water is deeper than the snow.

More in a few hours

Gary
Last edited by garyeanderson on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:54 am

High tide passed at 3:29 am local time and I would guess it was a total height of 15 feet. This seems to be about as much as you can get without the wind lasting through a 24-hour or greater time period. It seems to need the last high tide that has not fully receded to build on. 1978 had 3 high tide periods with wind speeds in the 60 to 80 range over 36 hours. The 1991 No Name storm was more like 5 high tide periods with building winds of 40 to 60mph, possibly a little higher. 1978 had high tides of 18 feet (combined surge and high tide) and the 1991 storm was just a tad less (maybe). Guess I'll just wait till it get light to see what?s happened.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Gary, I don't think I've ever read one of your posts without a pic! What does water a foot from the garage look like? I hope you and your collection are safe!

Here in Atlanta, we still have snow on the ground from Saturday and it's 28 degrees F. Wind is gusting to 20 mph. Pretty cold for Atlanta! I'm going in the garage anyway to cut away the where the front portion of the body is fiberglassed to the metal lattice prior to grafting on the NOS front clip per the recommendations of you and Ross. Thank you. I'll keep everone informed how it's coming along.
Attachments
Lattice before cutting reduced.jpg and
Lattice work prior to cutting it loose from previously repaired body work which was performed in 1976.
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Best of luck with the cutting, If I were replacing the nose and had that front clip I would be piecing in the whole thing. That?s just me though, please do it the way you want to, just so you do it and get it done.

a Elan Front Clip Ross robbins 1 08.jpg and

No photos unless they are in stock for a while, the second Olympus camera stopped focusing and I don't have the spare Ben Franklin to replace it. As far as the tide goes it looks like relief at 3:29 am this morning as that?s when it stopped getting any higher. It seems like my original shell from 26/4597 did its sacrificial duty and the water never got above the top of the backbone fiberglass. She a salt seasoned veteran that gave her all in the blizzard of 1978?
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Frank,
The photo Gary attached is where you should be. Bring the mountain to Mohamed as they say. It is 54 degrees and dry in the Denver area. We actually went to High Plains Raceway yesterday for the annual free Boxing Day track time. Maybe it is time you moved to a warmer climate all of you with snow and cold :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:28 am

Gary - fingers crossed for you and hope all is okay for you with the high tides.
Merry Christmas
Gordon
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:20 am

OK Guys, I've seen the light. Bought up a bunch of cutting discs this afternoon to start cutting away the glass repairs around the lattice. What a PIA! Two hours and I'm only scratching the surface. I did find where the previous repair in 1976, they cut the lattice and just put more glass over the cut lattice. And the has got one layer of glass and the entire outside is bondo. Yuck! This is going to be alot of work. I think I'll go back in history and look at Gary's pic of his lattice repair.

Ross, 54 degrees. Not bad. We'll be back there by the end of the week. Although I'm taking my son to Tampa for the weekend. His Lacrosse team has been invited to a Dick's Sportiing Goods invitational.

But tomorrow, I'll be back working on the Elan again! Ahhh, heaven!
Attachments
Sill repair in 76 reduced.jpg and
What a wonderful sill repair in 76. They just covered it with glass and bondo.
Cut lattice in 76 reduced.jpg and
Lattice cut and covered with fiberglass in 1976
dash repair in 76 reduced.jpg and
The dash repair done in 1976, ....a real winner!
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:31 am

Hi Gordon

Things are fine here in Scituate, going to need some yard cleanup and pull out a half a foot of marsh hay out of the original Elan shell but that?s to be expected I guess when you live in harms way. It's been a number of years since we have had a 3-day storm where the center of pressure just sits in one place and blows out of the Northeast. With the arm and elbow of Cape Cod it just piles up the tides, one after the next. If it lasts through 3 successive tides (37 hours) it get deep. Luckily that is a hard thing for nature to do, as weather systems rarely stay stagnant unless they're big. What we had last night is not much of a storm, it makes the news but it was probably a slow news day. I don't know if this is a local expression or not but "if you don't like the weather, wait till tomorrow", this is a truism but sometimes it fails and we get a "good" storm. I have seen two in the 46 years I have lived in town. I am not sure I want to see another but the longer I stay the chances are I will.

Frank

Looks like a standard repair from that time, no one did the job right back then, its just something you need to fix once the right way and it looks like you have the opportunity now to do that now.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:00 am

hey Gary glad all is okay for you, for an Aussie where is Scituate?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:12 am

Hi Gordon
See if this helps! Zoom out to where you see something familiar.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=sci ... CBIQ8gEwAA

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:55 pm

garyeanderson wrote:Hi Gordon

Things are fine here in Scituate, going to need some yard cleanup and pull out a half a foot of marsh hay out of the original Elan shell but that?s to be expected I guess when you live in harms way.

Gary

Hi Gary.

Glad to hear you made out okay! Are you anywhere near Minot Beach? SWMBO's mother lived in Scituate until a few years ago, then moved to Harwich Port. I've been to Scituate dozens of times over the past decades. Used to eat at Mill Wharf Pub, and frequent a bar whose name I forget, but it was on Front Street.

SWMBO lives in HP now, so we're bi-coastal for the foreseeable future.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:22 pm

summerinmaine wrote:
garyeanderson wrote:Hi Gordon

Things are fine here in Scituate, going to need some yard cleanup and pull out a half a foot of marsh hay out of the original Elan shell but that?s to be expected I guess when you live in harms way.

Gary

Hi Gary.

Glad to hear you made out okay! Are you anywhere near Minot Beach? SWMBO's mother lived in Scituate until a few years ago, then moved to Harwich Port. I've been to Scituate dozens of times over the past decades. Used to eat at Mill Wharf Pub, and frequent a bar whose name I forget, but it was on Front Street.

SWMBO lives in HP now, so we're bi-coastal for the foreseeable future.

Hi Jim

Take Front street south, stop at the Stop sign go straight through 400 yards and I am the 2nd house on the left (marsh side).
Stop by the next time your at the Mill Wharf.

Steak tips are better at Jaimies pub in North Scituate...

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:38 pm

garyeanderson wrote:Hi Jim

Take Front street south, stop at the Stop sign go straight through 400 yards and I am the 2nd house on the left (marsh side).
Stop by the next time your at the Mill Wharf.

Steak tips are better at Jaimies pub in North Scituate...

Gary

Thanks Gary. I may be coming to the Cape in March (need to plan around school hols and the San Felipe 250). I'll let you know when I do.

Used to go to No. Scituate for ice cream, but again I don't remember the name.

Regards,

Jim
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:02 pm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sour ... =&gs_rfai=

Wilburs Ice Cream!

Did you get a Wilbur wheel?

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:16 am

garyeanderson wrote:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Wilburs+north+scituate&aq=o&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Wilburs Ice Cream!

Did you get a Wilbur wheel?

Gary

That's it! But no wheel; I'm not much for ice cream, it was for the family.

Jim
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: