How old were you when you purchased your Elan?

PostPost by: slimromeo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:52 pm

bcmc33 wrote:
EMA7K wrote:I was 28 when EMA 7K came into my life. I am now 58 and we are inseperable. I will never part with her and when I die I will be buried with her!

EMA 7K (Gareth)

Reminds me of Sandra West:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_West

Don't forget to order the concrete.

a Ferrari? im gonna buy me a big shovel!
Last edited by slimromeo on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimromeo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:56 pm

I was only 60 when this uncooperative elan came into my care as a basket case .It arrived in boxes with doors and body separated from the chassis.motor rear diff etc all in boxes -- but slowly Im teaching it who's the boss [ had it been a horse it would be dog food by now ]--- but its still cheaper than a mistress---and not quite as much trouble as my wife --e
Last edited by twincamman on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Boston-Sam » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:30 pm

I was 28 when my siblings and I bought a '67 elan as a gift to my father on his 60th birthday. 53 when I had the old car transported by flatbed to be "fixed" after Dad stopped driving. With a rebuilt motor and many replacement parts it now runs beautifully. It is a pleasure to drive.

RMV says the VIN is 45/6513 but, as it is a "Frankenstein" assembled from several wrecked cars, it is hard to claim a specific serial number.
Attachments
Copy of IMG_0375.JPG and
Yellow 1967 RHD DHC 45/6513
Boston-Sam
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 pm

By my calculations your dad must have been 85 when he stopped driving. There's hope for me yet!! 8) 8) 8)
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Boston-Sam » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:03 pm

He stopped driving at ~age 83 and the car sat for a few years with "friends" taking it for the occasional ride around the block. His vision has been going - if not for that he would still be driving. For a few years it was his only car and driven year round in all kinds of weather.

It needed new breaks, clutch, fuel tank, a rebuild of the webers, oil pump, motor (valves, rings, pistons, etc), electric windows (a really "interesting" project ) and more.

It is now quietly hibernating in a friends garage until spring time - looking forward to DHC weather ;)
Yellow 1967 RHD DHC 45/6513
Boston-Sam
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:56 pm

I was 21 when I bought my 1967 Elan in partnership with a friend in 1974.

It's all mine now!

John Larkin.
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I was 31 when I bought my +2, that was 33 years ago. It's still going well 70K miles later.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: angdema » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:52 pm

HI all Iwas 35 26 years ago with my S2 witch was red but I am in the prosess of restoring to its origanal colour Medichi Blue
angdema
New-tral

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:53 pm

twincamman wrote:I was only 60 when this uncooperative elan came into my care as a basket case .It arrived in boxes with doors and body separated from the chassis.motor rear diff etc all in boxes -- but slowly Im teaching it who's the boss [ had it been a horse it would be dog food by now ]--- but its still cheaper than a mistress---and not quite as much trouble as my wife --e

That has to be one of the most quotable posts that I've seen on here for ages, I love it :D
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pimkeirle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:43 pm

60, four years ago, wish I hadn't waited so long !
pimkeirle
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:17 pm

I came into my Elans life as soon as... Well... You know..... :wink:

My dad had it as a daily driver untill the 6th of March 1976, for some strange reason he had to start driving a Saab 99 as from then.

She is 10 years older than I am.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:17 pm

I came into my Elans life as soon as... Well... You know..... :wink:

My dad had it as a daily driver untill the 6th of March 1976, for some strange reason he had to start driving a Saab 99 as from then.

She is 10 years older than I am.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:07 pm

I was 35... and I bought my '71 Sprint 23 years ago... a week before my daughter was born.

So every year when my daughter's birthday comes around, I also think back to when I towed my proud purchase back to the house. As I rolled-up into the yard closely following my friend's pick-up truck (via a tow rope), my very pregnant wife said she thought to herself, "Well, it really does ride quietly..." Only then did she see the tow rope.

I must admit, she's been quite a good sport about it all these years. :D

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: