Colin Chapman-Inside the Innovator

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:06 am

Hi Guys,

I'm very excited about the forthcoming publication of the new Lotus Book by K. Ludwigsen called:-
Colin Chapman-Inside the Innovator.
Sounds like it could be a very interesting read!
I think it's going to cost over 30 GBP & have been wondering that if there was sufficient interest that maybe a bulk order could be made for Copies at reduced cost.

Any ideas anyone?
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:36 pm

John,
Not sure what has happened to this book-had it pre-ordered from Amazon but no longer available and nobody else stocks it. Has publishing been delayed I wonder?

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:23 am

Chater's have it listed but are unsure of it's publication date.
On the other hand I've been told that that Author, Karl Ludwigsen will be signing Copies at the Lotus Festival Snetterton &that's at the end of June I believe.
I'm hoping to get one of those Copies.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tgethings » Mon May 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi Guys,

I can let you know that Karl Ludvigsen will be at MOTOR BOOKS in London from 4.30 P.M., tomorrow, Tuesday 11th May, signing copies of this eaterly awaited new book.

If you can't make it into London you can order your signed copies online and get a 10% discount off the standard retail price at: http://www.motorbooks.co.uk

Best Wishes

Tom Gethings
tgethings
New-tral

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon May 10, 2010 1:57 pm

tgethings wrote:Hi Guys,

I can let you know that Karl Ludvigsen will be at MOTOR BOOKS in London from 4.30 P.M., tomorrow, Tuesday 11th May, signing copies of this eaterly awaited new book.

If you can't make it into London you can order your signed copies online and get a 10% discount off the standard retail price at: http://www.motorbooks.co.uk

Best Wishes

Tom Gethings

Well I don't know where you've popped up from but thanks a lot.
Job done, I've just phoned MOTOR BOOKS & placed my order for a signed Copy.
Your announcement took me by surprise as everyone was expecting the the Book to come onto the Market quite a bit later.

Thanks
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:53 am

I've heard from a friend they'll be available for $60+ here in the states, signed editions. I'm ordering one. Does anyone know anything about the author?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tgethings » Tue May 11, 2010 11:53 am

Just do a google search for Karl Ludvigsen and go to the wikipedia site (2nd on the list) and that will give you all you need to know about the great man
tgethings
New-tral

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri May 28, 2010 12:24 pm

My Copy arrived in today's Post, a signed copy by the Author.
There's a lot of reading material which at the moment I can't really comment on, loads of Photos & Drawings.
From first appraisal the finest Lotus Book to be published for years.
If you don't have any Lotus Books this one would also be a brilliant starter
I'm well chuffed that I spent my Money.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Heuer » Fri May 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Bought mine from one of Amazon's recommended suppliers for ?18 - it is one of the rare unsigned ones though :D . There is only one small b&w picture of the Elan though as it is devoted to the Motorsport development side of Chapman. No road cars really.
Elan S4 DHC
E-Type S1 OTS
E-Type S1 FHC
Heuer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri May 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Heuer wrote:Bought mine from one of Amazon's recommended suppliers for ?18 - it is one of the rare unsigned ones though :D . There is only one small b&w picture of the Elan though as it is devoted to the Motorsport development side of Chapman. No road cars really.

Quite, this is not an Elan Book, there's plenty of choice on that Subject.
Motorsport was what Chapman was all about, the Road Cars brought in the needed funding but after big name Sponsorship the Road Cars became even less interesting to him unless he could see a big profit.
The majority of Guys on here seem to have a great deal of interest in the technical side of Lotus Cars & the Book is crammed with that.
Biting my bottom Lip, I will not get moody about your 18 GBP Copy from Amazon even though it arrived to you virginally unopened (unsigned).
Mine cost me 35 GBP + 7 GBP Postage & some Guy had scribbled his Name all over the Fly Leaf; bloody nerve is what I call it :lol:

At 18 GBP nobody on here should be without one :wink:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Any quotes from.... Robin Read, Ron Hickman, John De Lorean, Fred Bushell, Peter Cambridge, Mike Lawrence or that anonymous contract draughtsman who designed and drew up the "Chapman" strut in his lunchtime? :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon May 31, 2010 8:47 am

elansprint71 wrote:Any quotes from.... Robin Read, Ron Hickman, John De Lorean, Fred Bushell, Peter Cambridge, Mike Lawrence or that anonymous contract draughtsman who designed and drew up the "Chapman" strut in his lunchtime? :twisted:

Pete,

all I can say is break open the Kiddies Piggy Bank & spend the 18 Pounds, it's cheap even for you Guys ooooop North.
400 Pages of good reading.
OK you may have read some of it before, but then there's been so many Lotus books written.
What makes this one different is that it's compartmentalised.
If your thing's Gearboxes then read that section first; "Man management" then go there first.
This is "the" Book that I've been waiting a long time for.
To be honest I've only done a quick scan through my Copy, but from that I can say that yes there are lots of Quotes from a whole host of people.
A fair bit of mythology busting & Folk Lore reality to be found within, all of course within "the Eye of the beholder"
I'm really looking forward to getting down to reading it from cover to cover.
Chapman Strut! Surely you mean the Goggomobil strut? :lol:
It's (almost) all in there so go get your own copy; don't if you want to live the dream & still believe in the "Tooth Fairy" & "Santa Claus" :lol:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Nothing is cheap for us Up North! I've ordered it.

May I recommend "Jim Clark, Life at Lotus" by Peter Darley? It has been around a couple of years, is not cheap (at least the slip-case version I bought) but it is worth every penny. It is a big square photo book and the quality is fantastic. Peter was official Team Lotus photographer, btw. :)
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:28 am

Unless you particularly want the signature you guys seem to be paying too much.
This place will send it halfway around the world for 24 quid.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97 ... rrency=GBP

Cheers
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:56 am

reb53 wrote:Unless you particularly want the signature you guys seem to be paying too much.
This place will send it halfway around the world for 24 quid.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97 ... rrency=GBP

Cheers
Ralph.

Keep 'em coming guys!
18 GBP now 24 GBP inc. P&P Worldwide!
My 42 GBP was not the Bargain of the Year & no doubt in 3 Year's time they'll be around at 12 GBP.
I'm just impetuous & had to have it :roll:

I will not get pi55ed off at the Money I could have saved
-
-
-
-
-
-
No I will not get pi55ed off at the Money I could have saved
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: