The tide has come and gone again

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:09 am

Gary,
It's a yearly ongoing project for Pevensey. The beach used to replenish naturally with the West to East movement of the shingle along the natural barrier beach, but 10 years ago they built a quaint little development about 3 miles to the West called Sovereign Harbour which consists of 3 or 4 huge concrete basins that form a marina, lock gates, 5000 or so dwellings and basically interrupted the longshore drift by building all this on reclaimed land. you can bore yourself to death reading all about it here http://www.pevensey-bay.co.uk/recharge.html

Your situation sounds a lot more fun, we don't tend to get too much of a storm surge as the winds don't blow as hard and as long and very often don't blow in the right direction. We need a Spring Tide, and a heavy South Easterly wind thats been blowing for a day or so to make it interesting.

Hopefully living by the sea will have it's compensations, we are using ours as a weekender for now, but who knows we may retire there!

If you add a few extra plastic containers and tie them to the Elan shell they will act as flotation aids and you should be able to use it as a raft if things get messy.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:00 am

Living on the edge=Lotus ownership

Are there any other Elan owners out there near the waters' edge?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:13 pm

1964 S1 wrote:Are there any other Elan owners out there near the waters' edge?

When my father bought the Elan in 1967, we lived on Long Island Sound in Stamford, Connecticut. The same nor'easters that trouble Gary piled up water in the Sound and the waves broke over the seawall across the road from us, occasionally flooding the area. On at least one occasion, the Elan was stuck in salt water up to the door sills while I was trying to get it to higher ground. As a result, the sill frames eventually rotted out, and Gary replaced them a few years ago, as documented on this site. Since my family moved from that home (1974 or so), we've been a comfortable distance from the coast or other flooding sources.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: