classic tour companies

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:45 am

I have only found one tour company that does reasonably priced tours in Europe. This is continentalcartours.co.uk

The others I find are clearly for people that I might have not much in common with - extremely rich people that can find 5 grand for a few days. Continental Tours at a couple of hundred quid per person is in my ballpark (but only just!)

Does anyone know of any other cheap ones?

Shame there is not one decent sized event by our members, as I am sure it would also be good value (no offence intended on your disposable incomes haha). The ideas always seem to fizzle out before going anywhere, with only 2 or 3 cars meeting up. And to be fair, the ideas always seem to be one person's agenda, without any structured research of members being conducted (I am a saddo market researcher).

I always look at them but I would only join up if there was 10 or so cars involved and I can see why people don't join up - they tend to look like 'come on my holiday' and for me it needs to look more like 'the annual lotuselan.net european tour'.

Rich
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi Rich

I used Continental when I took my +2 down to Pau Historic GP last year. The price was reasonable, hotels reasonable quality - all in a good location. there where approximatly 5 cars on that tours. There was no defined route between the stops and each person determined their own route. I travelled in convoy with a friend and that worked well making sure we avoided toll roads. The cost was ?369 per person (assumed 2 to a car) and included 5 nights in a hotel, GP tickets and Dover - Calais return ferry.

I would certainly use them again.

Regards Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 pm

This month's Octane (actually April's ..) has a free supplement with info on lots of tours. However, many are clearly for people who are seriously seriously minted (not to mention having the time).

Examples:

http://www.pekingparis.com/

http://www.jameswalkerevents.com/

But lots of others, not so exotic, so maybe worth a look.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Been on several trips with Continental Car Tours to the Laon Historique.
Having a change this year and going on their Mosel Tour in May but calling in at Stavelot and Spa on the outward journey and then having a look at the Nurburgring one day also. Always good value and not too 'organised'.
Ben
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:40 pm

May see you at the German one, we wanted to do the Laon one but cannot sort childcare. Also thinking like you on the extra-curriculars , i.e. sorting the lap record out at the Ring, but then onto Strasbourg for 2 nights.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 pm

richgilb wrote:May see you at the German one, we wanted to do the Laon one but cannot sort childcare. Also thinking like you on the extra-curriculars , i.e. sorting the lap record out at the Ring, but then onto Strasbourg for 2 nights.

Decided on the Mosel trip as we have been to the Jim Clark Revival at Hockenheim twice and enjoy Germany.
We are taking the Elise along with friends in an Elan Sprint an Esprit and an XKR.
Ben
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:28 pm

The best non-competitive tour I`ve experienced is the MSA Euroclassic but it`s expensive. For good value try www.classiccarjourneys.co.uk .They have a good Classic Europe again this year.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:19 am

It must just be me....the European one is ?1600 for 2 people for 4 nights. If I found out that the subsistence was about 100 per head per day, and I suspect I would, then I would feel like the rest of it was not such good value for money. For example, I am an occasional motorcycle enduro racer hobbyist and I can enter a 2 day event with safety officials, time officials, vehicle inspectors, temporary route markers, council approval etc for fifty quid plus B&B. What I mean is, there is a lot of work and organisation for a race like this, more than booking hotels for us, sending us an itinerary and a route map.

Or am I missing something?
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:52 pm

I take the Elan to a classic car meet near Lake Geneva every October (for the last 4 years). I usually book the ferry and nothing much else. France is full of cheap hotels, gites and B&Bs with restaurants everywhere. I decide my own route and stop anywhere which looks interesting (or when it gets dark). You meet all sorts of people on the way driving a classic car....
Probably too mean to pay somebody to arrange a trip for me :)

Carl

I have a good list of places to stay between Calais and Switzerland if anybody is interested.
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: