CO2 emissions - MOT and Twin 40's

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:29 pm

I done my fair share of Free parking posting recently but I need another piece of advice..........

I'm looking at a car to import into France. Its an early 1992 car so it must pass the emissions test of 3.5% at idle

Its a 1630cc Crossflow 120BHP Caterham sprint engine with twin 40 DCOE's
It obviously has to pass a UK MOT which states : - At the time of writing, for vehicles first used between 1st August 1975 and 31st July 1986 (P to C registration), the CO level must not exceed 4.5% by volume. For vehicles first used between 1st August 1986 and 31st July 1992 (D to J registration), the CO level must not exceed 3.5% by volume.

Do you think it would pass easily? (My Elan struggles on 4.5% and only passes as the tester likes the car!)
Or could it be adjusted to a level for the test?

Thanks!

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: quaybook » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:19 pm

I have a Crossflow engined Westfield with twin 40 Dellortos, high lift cam etc (about 110bhp) and that idles at or below 3% CO. However it does have 3D mapped ignition and the Dellortos have air bypass screws, both of which help to get an environmentally friendly idle. In any event, I guess you can turn in the idle mixture screws to weaken the mixture for the test - the idle will be lumpier I expect and you will need to keep a carefull note of the original position of the screws so that you can retune afterwards.
Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: