Condensation

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:20 pm

Dear All

Have just been under the car and I don't like what I see,condensation and rust forming on the rotors,brakes etc...
The last run out I had was Newark a few weeks ago and it was wet but I think this is condensation!!
Only last year at the start of the season had to overhaul the brakes and change the rusty rotors!!!!

The car is in a car port wth semi enclosed sides ...Glossop Derbyshire,the dampest/wettest place east of Blackpool, what is the solution....heaters? oil? electric? thermostats? crystals? skirt????

Any ideas?
Thanks

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 pm

John, I'd suggest a dehumidifier, but for it to work properly you'd need a fully enclosed space. They do work great however, removing up to two litres of moisture per day from a room. Driving out moisture from a semi-open area will be difficult. I've tried using those moisture sucking crystals in my old Mini before but I can't say they worked at all (I left a box of them in a fogged up car for a week, but they seemingly removed none of it...). The most expensive, but probably the most effective solution would be a carcoon.

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:49 am

Hi John,
given the weather when I visited you last year I am not surprised about the condensation :(
I have heard of people spraying the discs with WD40 before a layup. Apparently (and I have no experience of this) it burns off very quickly when in use, or you can just wipe it off.
(Alternatively you can leave your car here, its a fair bit drier! :lol:
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks all
...but I think I have cracked it,only last week I was wondering what to do with the cardboard box that Santa left behind after giving me a 42" flat screen Hitachi TV (other makes are available).....well out came The Blue Peter Handbook and Stanley knife (other craft knives are available)...and in ten minutes knocked up a skirt for her....and a delve further into the shed produced an old tubular heater and thermostat from my old wine-making days -it's easier and cheaper to visit Asda (other stores are available)....and Hey Presto.....under-car heated skirt...next move is to put power into the pit and install the heater in there permanently....

Attachments
2010_0102skirt0001.JPG and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Warm condensation, then. And a steepish increase on the leccy bill. I sealed my garage floor and put a 70 quid dehumidifier in there. Cheap to run too.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:03 pm

John
Id be tempted to try to enclose your 'space' if you can

or found this...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARCOON-STORAGE-S ... 19b8e84e15

the only other thing Id say is that I wouldnt leave a sheet on it for too long......if the sheet gets damp and sits on the paint for any length of time it could knacker your paint.......Im not saying it will, but form past experience cost me money on the insurance excess....:(

cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm

...I would love to put a carcoon on it,but,I'm in and out of it most of the time doing little bits and bats...will have a look underneath it in the morning..

..the sheet is OK as it's under the carport-just to keep the dust off it...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: