Another member leaves .

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:08 am

Must admit each time a member gets upset and then vows never to return, I look back through the posts to see what upset them. Yet I can never find anything that should lead to them leaving. Am I missing something in my thick-skinned Yorkshire ignorance, are people deleting posts that caused offense before I get the chance to trawl through the posts to find out what happened, do some people incorrectly read negative things into quickly written comments, are some people just too sensitive, all of the above? This is about the third time someone has left a cryptic message (at least cryptic to me) in the last year, stating they are pi*&ed off (but not point to the posts that led to the upset) and therefore won't be back to the site. It always seems to be people that know loads about the cars as well.

Are we cursed?

What happened to Ed Twincamman?
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:37 pm

I have the same thoughts Rich..i fail to see how anyone can get so upset on here anyway..its not as if its real life is it?

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:43 pm

Well, Rich, it seems you really are as thick and ignorant as you suggest.

IMHO you're in good company - because I don't understand it either.

From my point of view, disagreements brings out good arguments and often results in the best informed information becoming available to thick and ignorant forum members like us.

Whatever my knowledge and experience, I'm always looking for better ideas and ways of doing things. However, judgement must remain the watchword - only last week there was some insanely dangerous advice given by a well know contributor, who I?m sure was taking the p*ss in reply to someone else?s poor advice.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 pm

I've seen it happen quite a bit with other forums Im on.......
and I think the big thing is actually punctuation...certainly amongst the 'younger' end.....
people get the wrong end of the wrong stick and then start mud slinging or just leave.....
it is strange.......I think the thing is that you miss the personality in this virtual environment....and believe it or not I think that's quite a big bit of communication.....

I dont think many people write letters anymore (outside of the workplace I mean)....it tends to be the phone, or the internet, or skype.......
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:00 pm

This great forum of ours has it's own life, it waxes and wanes over time, but still provides us with information, solutions, data, humour, argument, passion, judgement, irony and debate. After all, we are each of us only human, we are each of us different - thank goodness! - and that is what makes the site interesting and entertaining for us.

In the same way, over the six years I have been a member here, other members have come and gone, some quietly moving on, others sad to do so, yet others more openly. Yet they have all in their own way made a contribution to the forum and our sum of knowledge about our cars. Luckily we can still take advantage of that by searching the archives when we need to, so we can continue to benefit from all past members contributions.

This forum will continue to be a major resource and benefit to all Elan owners, past, present and future. We should live and let live and on the whole, I think we do.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Punctuation is definitely important. But even when I think a message looks rude, I remind myself that I am on a forum, communicating with people I have never met and I never get upset.

And the way people write is only going to get worse.

lol
t+ every1
cul8r
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:06 pm

richgilb wrote:lol
t+ every1
cul8r

:? :? :? :?
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Rich,
hope you're not getting power upgrades fitted at Spyder and are just going for the poofy leather and pink axminster carpets.

I'm the only 200bhp Zetec in the forum!!!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: