Ilkley in Late June - Lotus Rental???

PostPost by: brandon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:25 pm

After years of planning, I'm finally taking a trip to the UK. This should be really good fun, as the whole family is going including my mum... who has not been back since she moved to Canada in 1958.

We only have a few weeks and will be staying in Ilkley, as most of my remaining family lives in Leeds. There are a great many things to do, but the one request I've made (of my better half) is that we spend a day just driving around the countryside. Although I'm sure the rental Opel Zafira is charming if you're used to driving a bulldozer all day, I'd really like to rent something a little more satisfying.

I've done some searching on the interweb, and see that I can rent an Elise without too much trouble. But there are also some places that rent classics. In a perfect world I'd find an Elan to rent, but I haven't been able to track one down. If anyone knows if this is possible or has some other rental suggestions (particular company etc.), I'd love to hear back from you. My S1 is sitting ready for the body to come off, and I'm sure that nothing would get the restoration juices flowing like a day of driving a well put together Elan.

Thanks,
Brandon
brandon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:22 pm

There are a couple of Elan owners in Ilkley! My favourite driving roads are in that area (the Dales and Moors). If you'd like a suggestion or two let me know as my very favourite route is heading across the North Yorks Moors to Whitby hitting up some incredible sights and attractions, including the best fish and chips I've ever had (in Whitby). It's a great day out, and a solid 5 hours of driving.

But to answer your question, there are a few classic car hire companies in Yorkshire, but the only one I've come across that offers an Elan (a Sprint DHC if I recall) is as a package deal with a cottage rental in the Lake District, which is in Cumbria, but only 2-3 hours drive from Leeds, and another wonderful place to take a classic car to (but can be horrendeously busy). They offer either the Elan or a Mini Cooper S, and advertise in the back of classic car mags (either C&SC or Octane).

Sorry I can't be more help.

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: brandon » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:53 am

Thank you very much for the response Adi. I'd love some suggestions for routes, and the name and address of the fish and chips place. We had considered staying a few days in the Lake District, but we just don't want to be that rushed.

My email is probably the best way to get in touch with me... [email protected]

Thanks,
Brandon
brandon
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: