Whats the right club (if any)

PostPost by: terryp » Thu May 28, 2009 11:44 am

Having owned a few classic cars in my time, Ford Popular 100E, Ford Thames 100E, Ginetta G15S , Hillman Imp Californian I was always a member of the appropriate owners club.

Having been a Lotus owner (Elan +2S 130) now for 2 years I do wonder as to which club (if any) to belong to?

I joined Club Lotus UK as I thought that was the club to join , having said that I live in France but Club Lotus France seems to be very Elise orientated. That said so does Club Lotus UK. I'm not moaning about Elises or modern Lotus, its just the problem of so many cars over so many years and the fact that obviously a large club must cater for the majority in that club

And then there's LotusElan.net , I feel that this is the best club I've belonged to and its not even a club! (Jeff - any plans to sell a badge?)

Does anyone else feel the same?

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu May 28, 2009 11:53 am

For the older cars, Elans in particular this is the best club 8)

I am a member of both Club Lotus and LDC and I enjoy the magazines from both. There is of course limited Elan coverage with these clubs but as a marque club they have to cater for all models of all ages.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri May 29, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks Steve
I realise that they are marque clubs but what I was saying is that I feel we are court in the middle, have a look at all these .....
http://www.lotus-central.com/index.php/ ... links.html

We are too young and too common (Thats the car) for the historic clubs and there seems to be plenty of Elise Clubs and this in the only place specifically for elan owners and its not a club (well not officially)

But what I'm coming round to is that I probably have more interest in the period Lotus than the modern so perhaps to join one of the historic clubs may give me a better monthly read

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Fri May 29, 2009 7:47 am

terryp wrote:Having owned a few classic cars in my time, Ford Popular 100E, Ford Thames 100E, Ginetta G15S , Hillman Imp Californian I was always a member of the appropriate owners club.

Having been a Lotus owner (Elan +2S 130) now for 2 years I do wonder as to which club (if any) to belong to?

I joined Club Lotus UK as I thought that was the club to join , having said that I live in France but Club Lotus France seems to be very Elise orientated. That said so does Club Lotus UK. I'm not moaning about Elises or modern Lotus, its just the problem of so many cars over so many years and the fact that obviously a large club must cater for the majority in that club

And then there's LotusElan.net , I feel that this is the best club I've belonged to and its not even a club! (Jeff - any plans to sell a badge?)

Does anyone else feel the same?

Terry

Hi Terry ,
I am not going to sold you a member card , but as member of the Club Lotus France I have to say that , as usual ,the majority win .
The majority has Elise's and derivatives .
And these members -and their fees- are giving us the possibility to organise a lot of meetings , track-days ... A classic Lotus is allways welcome to join.
To help with that , the club decide to create a "classic" branch , and if not specific to classics every event has a "classic" option , low prices on track-day , 1day-only tour on long week-end meetings , etc ... and the very dynamic "members only" forum is a very good opportunity to improve your french spelling ... :mrgreen:
Fell free to MP me. :wink:
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat May 30, 2009 1:00 pm

B.A.R.C ----ED
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sat May 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi Everyone

At the back of my mind there's always been the idea of a "Club Lotus 1558" This would cover all the Twin Cam powered Lotus cars such as Elans, Plus 2s and Europas.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:20 am

andyelan wrote:At the back of my mind there's always been the idea of a "Club Lotus 1558" This would cover all the Twin Cam powered Lotus cars such as Elans, Plus 2s and Europas.

Bugger, now I can't put a 1700 tall-block Twin Cam in my +2. :shock:
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun May 31, 2009 7:28 am

Andy
That sounds perfect!
Can I join?

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun May 31, 2009 8:46 am

CBUEB1771 wrote:
andyelan wrote:At the back of my mind there's always been the idea of a "Club Lotus 1558" This would cover all the Twin Cam powered Lotus cars such as Elans, Plus 2s and Europas.

Bugger, now I can't put a 1700 tall-block Twin Cam in my +2. :shock:

That's me scuppered as well :cry:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:03 am

Having spent best part of 2 weekends unsuccessfully trying to fit a tall block and Lotus 5 speed into my Sprint, and now facing exclusion from the Club1558.

Double scuppered !

Going back to bed.
Perhaps it's just a bad dream .....

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun May 31, 2009 9:12 am

OK what about "Club Lotus Original Twincam 1558 and its derivatives 1960 to 1975"
We could shorten it to CLOT !
That should have no one scuppered
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun May 31, 2009 9:44 am

"I have a cunning plan!"

A Forum we could call LotusElan.net

Cheers
Baldrick

now where's my coat? (I suffer from poor memory as well as lack of imagination) :)
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:52 am

Club (whatever) 1558+ ?

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sun May 31, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi Everyone

My idea would be for a club specifically aimed at owners who wish to keep their cars in as close to original condition as possible. It would be open to the sixties Lotus cars, principally the Elan, Plus 2 and Europa. Its aim would be to promote and encourage the preservation of these cars and to discourage unsympathetic modifications and the braking of cars for spares.

Perhaps if there's anyone out there who shares this idea, maybe they should PM me

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:42 pm

andyelan wrote:Hi Everyone

My idea would be for a club specifically aimed at owners who wish to keep their cars in as close to original condition as possible. It would be open to the sixties Lotus cars, principally the Elan, Plus 2 and Europa. Its aim would be to promote and encourage the preservation of these cars and to discourage unsympathetic modifications and the braking of cars for spares.

Perhaps if there's anyone out there who shares this idea, maybe they should PM me

Regards
Andy

Spyder chassis, twin wishbone rear suspension, +2 brakes, 26/R rad, guess I'm out. :evil:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: