Tesla - A True Lotus?

PostPost by: mopho » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:02 pm

I've driven the Honda Clarity hydrogen fuel cell car, it's pretty nifty, but the issues that David mentioned are significant.
At the moment there is only one place to refuel the car, so your limited to how far you can go
67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 pm

many years ago ol Smoky Unik made a generator that ran off a propeller to save the scavenging loss from the fan belt for the grand national race series ---always thought that was a capital idea to power a battery car --I am looking at perhaps converting my Europa to an electric car when the Renault motor detonates some day ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:26 pm

yandy wrote:To briefly return to the original question, I think it's just been definitively answered by the latest edition of BBC's Top Gear who tested two Teslas: they were enormously fun to drive, overpriced, and both broke down.

FYI - the BBC has had to apologise for completely fictionalising the Tesla having to be pushed. At no time did it run out of charge it seems:

http://current.com/items/89645624/top_gear_lie_about_the_tesla_s_performance_on_their_track.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Top_Gear#Tesla_road_test
1974 +2S/130 JPS
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: yandy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:52 am

Indeed yandy wrote:

To briefly return to the original question, I think it's just been definitively answered by the latest edition of BBC's Top Gear who tested two Teslas: they were enormously fun to drive, overpriced, and both broke down.

Somewhat in jest.

The tea-cosy hatted teenager rather missed the point though in defining Rachel Konrad as a BBC 'spokeswoman' - she's a true Tesla Girl. And as any OMD fan knows, Tesla Girls not only spend their time 'testing out theories, electric chairs and dynamos', but 'you wouldn't believe them if they said'.

So in fact there was 20% charge left in the car after 55 miles - it was good for 69 after all. The second electric chair didn't break down (per se) - it blew a fuse. Still a true Lotus then :wink:
Exceedingly yellow '68 +2

Todays top tip: create a spooky lighting effect by forgetting to switch off and remove your torch from the nose area before refitting the grille.
yandy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:10 pm

yandy wrote:The second electric chair didn't break down (per se) - it blew a fuse. Still a true Lotus then :wink:

hahaha - absolutely!
1974 +2S/130 JPS
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 pm

twincamman wrote:many years ago ol Smoky Unik made a generator that ran off a propeller to save the scavenging loss from the fan belt

But they'd still have to pay for it increased drag and, overall, it may well have proved less power-efficient than the standard fanbelt drive. There really isn't such a thing as a free lunch it seems. :(
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: