Who is best for instrument repairs? (UK)

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Thu May 01, 2008 2:25 pm

I need to have my Rev Counter converted from current trigger to voltage trigger - I have an Aldon Ignitor fitted and it just doesn't read anything just now.
Also I need my temperature guage repaired, it under reads woefully.

Who is best for this service?
Any idea of approximate costs?

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Vanden Perre » Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm

I have used speedycables.com to repair the temperature function on a dual gauge.
Very good job, GBP 35 + packing and carriage to Belgium @ 11.69 + VAT = GBP 54.87 in September 2006.
Olivier.
Vanden Perre
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Fri May 02, 2008 10:39 am

Must admit, my own experience of Speedy Cables' work is less satisfactory. :(

They were certainly speedy enough, the price was fine and the gauge and attached temperature sender looked pristine; problem is that you can only check out the action once you've installed it and replaced the dashboard and all the other gubbins. Unfortunately, that's not a good time to find that it doesn't actually work very well, which was my experience.

The oil pressure gauge is very 'sticky' - it's either 'on' or 'off' and the temp gauge appears to over-read by about 15 degrees - heart-attack material when you're in a jam and see the needle exceeding the car's top-speed potential!

How do I know that it is over-reading and that it's not the engine actually overheating? Simple - when I stopped and opened the bonnet to check, the overflow pipe wasn't even warm and there was certainly no extra (heated) coolant in the bottle. Not wishing to go to all the hassle of pulling out the dashboard etc again to get the damn thing out to send back to them, I'm rather stuck with the problem. :evil: Hope you have better luck.
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri May 02, 2008 12:06 pm

I had instruments refurbished by Speedograph Richfield in Nottingham. All the instruments came back working perfectly having been fully reconditioned, which isn?t what I asked for. The instruments were from a Californian E Type, so the cases were original and in mint condition?and they were all working properly. All I wanted was new rubber seals, which they wouldn?t supply separately, but told me to send them in and they would fit them up properly. They did fit the seals, and re-plate the casings (which they didn?t need) with the wrong type of plating, and charged ?600 for 2 main and 4 small instruments?.10 years ago.

A tad pricy for new rubbers and ruining the originality of the instruments?and that was after verbal and written instructions of what to do. So, they provide a very good reconditioning product, and a lousy service. There?s a big difference between providing a good service and a good product, and unfortunately most companies don?t seem to understand this.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Mon May 05, 2008 7:46 am

I used speedycables as previously mentioned, to convert my tacho for electronic operation. All went well, cost around ?60 - now works perfectly.

Well worth the money to get rid of the 'bouncing tacho' syndrome with electronic ignition.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: