Ractrack domination

PostPost by: hatman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:57 am

Just watched a video that I borrowed from JEC (I'm a member) called 'Gran Turismo', subtitled 'Oldtimer Grand Prix' by Markt Video. It covers historic GT racing at a Nurburgring meeting in, I believe, 1989.

Interesting to see that the up to 1300cc category is totally dominated by Elites and the up to 2000cc category is equally totally dominated by Elans. The over 2000cc category has no Loti but the Elans' times would have had them running at the front there too - against Cobras, Corvettes, E Types etc etc. We may, rightly, criticise their manufacturing quirks and Mr Chapman's penny-pinching approach but, boy oh boy, did he have the formula right!
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:54 pm

Have to agree

In my pre 1968 production sports car class I measure myself on the track in the Elan against cars with at least twice the engine size. If a car under 3.2 litres beats me on a circuit I feel I have not driven as well as I should ( or they are cheating the historic rules I race uinder with regards allowable weight reduction unless its a Lotus Seven).

The Elan has only one real weakness versus some of its peers which is its narrow track and short wheelbase limit its ultimate roadholding on modern tyres versus some. The tighter the tyre regulations and more true to the historic period the more outstanding the Elan ( and the Elite and Seven) becomes.

cheers
Rohan
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:21 pm

rgh0 wrote:The Elan has only one real weakness versus some of its peers which is its narrow track and short wheelbase limit its ultimate roadholding on modern tyres versus some...Rohan

Rohan,

I guess the Plus 2 took care of that.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robcall » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Wasn't the europa/47 more competitive in its day?
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Gents

Here in NA the elan typically gets moved up a couple of classes with more modern machinery. effectivly removing it from it's peer group- There is also quite a bit of development that has be invested in certain cars over the last 30 years that franky was not enjoyed ( or allowed ) by the elan. In short the competition's engines make a lot more HP, weights are reduced ,GRP, Al, acid diped steel, suspension changed etc, etc, - in the groups I run with an early 70's 914/6 with a 2.5 liter engine (close to 300 hp) weighting under 2000 lbs is hard to stay with and a lot of people can drive em ( esp with 9's and 8's under the fenders ) there is a move to send the loti down a couple of groups so this may return the natural ballence so to speak.

Elites run with super trick sprigets and they are mid-pack cars at this point - a prime example of what 30 years of development can do to tilt the playing field.

type 74 europas, at least the ones I have been on track with are not faster than the elans -

Type 46,54and 65 europas ( renault power, non-cross flow) are moving pylons for an elan.

Type 47's with twincam and same skill drive are quicker - in period I think the 47 reset all the rack records in the UK ( one year only) some 47s were equiped with FVA's (and FVC's) and BMW motors in an effort to keep up with the chevrons B8/B9, I would expect a 230 HP 47 to dissapear from the elan on track , but we don't see them here in NA. we do see the chevrons and they are sports racer fast ( ginetta g12's and G4 are here and fast as well )

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:03 pm

Yes indeed; Ron Hickman did a splendid job when he designed the Elan.
Colin Chapman also did a splendid job when he took the credit.

:twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: