Advice regarding using a UK insurance by a foreigner.

PostPost by: Jas » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:38 am

Hi all

I?m from Denmark and looking into buying an Elan in the UK. The car is sold from a private owner, and I would like to drive the car to the ferry in Harwich.
Does anybody know if it is possible for me as a foreigner, to drive the car using the sellers insurance on the way to the ferry?
I have been told that it should be possible, if the seller gets an approval from his insurancecompany, but I would like to hear from someone who has tried it.
So please come forward.
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:03 pm

I think what you say is true but the vehicle owner will have to pay extra to get you included on the insurance. Quite a lot of bother.
In England the vehicle is insured not the owner.
Can't you get insurance yourself before collcting the car? That's the way it works in Germany.
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi John

Unfortunatly I can't get insurance before I have the car home and registred in Denmark. :(
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Vanden Perre » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:07 pm

My advice: try another insurer. It sounds ridiculous. How can you get the car registred in your own country before getting it in the country??
In my country (Belgium) you can insure a car with either the registration number or the chassis number. Try to get a temporary insurance with a certificate your insurer will issue with the chassis number of the car.
Regards.

Olivier.
Vanden Perre
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi

Or you could get a UK resident to drive it to Harwich. If they have a fully comprehensive policy they could drive a car owned by someone else under their policy, third party cover only.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: