Classic Le Mans 2008

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:30 pm

Just starting to plan the trip for next year. Who else is planning on going?

Are the CLOG boys going again? If so are you planning on going as one group? Fancy a southern interloper?
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:30 pm

I am going again. This time I plan to take my 17 year old son, for the first time, in the +2. My brother is joining us with a pal in an old porsche. I am hoping to get tickets via NYLOC from the french lotus owners club like last time. This way we can park with the french lotus owners.
I have to say anyone going for the first time may have problems with hotels etc as they are already booked solid ( as with the 24 heures).
As always it would be nice to meet up with other forum users.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:35 pm

Hi Steve / Chris,

I think up to press there are at least a dozen or more going from NYLOC.
Various routes are planned, some going to Dover for the Speedferries fastcat I believe on the tuesday before.
I will be going on the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry on wednesday night due to work commitments.

As has been said before, it's nice if people make themselves known over there.

Doug.
(J reg Lagoon Blue S4 Elan )
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:17 am

steveww wrote:Just starting to plan the trip for next year. Who else is planning on going?

Are the CLOG boys going again? If so are you planning on going as one group? Fancy a southern interloper?

Yes Steve the CLOGs are going again. I booked the club tickets, the ferries and the camp site a few weeks ago when I realised that the ferries were already fully booked on some days and routes, I guess this is down to the many tour operators block-booking.
I've had confirmation for everything except the camp site, ACO are performing to their usual level of helpfulness. Actually they are not allowed to call the "camp-site" a camp site this year due to the fact that it does not comply with the strict legislation covering what they must provide, i.e adequate "sanitary facilities", so to get around this they are calling these spaces "welcome areas". By using this jolly wheeze it looks like they'll have about 1.5 blocked porta-bogs per 5k people, supplied by the local pikeys, again.
Allegedly. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave_Newcastle » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:05 pm

Im going with my son in our plus two. This will be my first classic so looking forward to it loads. Travelling via overnight ferries Poole - Cherbourg on the wed and back on the sunday night Caen - Portsmouth. I applied for tickets etc including camping at the circuit by post via the ACO about one month ago but as of yet no confirmation or reply from them............
Dave_Newcastle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:18 am

Booked for the Classic via Club Lotus including circuit laps. Travelling Portsmouth - St Malo on the Wednesday and returning Monday Cherbourg - Portsmouth. Managed to book hotel close to circuit via friend who is travelling with Jaguar group. Not sure at moment if taking Elise or Elan. Also doing the Jim Clark Revival at Hockenheim in April.[/list]
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:01 am

First of all , Happy new year to all of you & your famillies ...
For Le Mans Classic 2008' , the French Lotus Club is going to prepare a meeting on friday the 11th , near Chartres , then , using secondaries roads finishing at Le Mans , and last , with the Elan's as "guest star" ...
I don't know much about details but , I'm sure than if some of you could join , it will be if possible , great . If some of you are interrested , I can ask ...
Anyways ,"OEW" will be arround .
Christian.
Ps: here the UK's link to the official Le Mans Classic 2008' website:
http://www.lemansclassic.com/2008/UK/index.html
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:25 pm

Christian,
It would be good if you could post some details of the Club Lotus France activities at LMC 08 here; I have let my subscription lapse :evil: .

I have to say that some of the photos on the website and in the publicity packs are absolutely superb. I wonder who could have taken those? :wink:

Cheers,
Pete.

www.petetaylor.org

p.s. If anyone from this list is racing, or doing track laps, PM me if you would like some photos.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:52 pm

... Pete ,
All that I know from this CLF event , is that I wrote on my previous message . I will write about as soon as possible ...
Me too , I really want to do track laps ... They should be possible on friday , arround 20h00 as we can see on the official website programm . I am still waiting for possibilities ... Didn't found the form yet.
About racing at LMC , in my dreams , only!
Very nice pictures on your website , btw...
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:29 am

Just had a look at the entry list for the event.

http://www.lemansclassic.com/2008/uk/pd ... y_list.pdf

Can't wait. :lol:
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:51 pm

All booked up for the trip with Grandstand Motorsports, much easier than deal with the ACO direct. I will be doing the Portsmouth Caen crossing there and back and sticking to the N & D roads in France.

We should try to arrange a beer or two together when we get there.

Just need to finish the winter service on the Elan now. I can't wait for the Spring and no more salt on the roads.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:23 am

Got the sticker on already !!
Attachments
Le Mans Classic 001 (Small).jpg and
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:31 pm

steveww wrote:All booked up for the trip with Grandstand Motorsports, much easier than deal with the ACO direct. I will be doing the Portsmouth Caen crossing there and back and sticking to the N & D roads in France.

We should try to arrange a beer or two together when we get there.

Just need to finish the winter service on the Elan now. I can't wait for the Spring and no more salt on the roads.

Don't talk to me about the ACO, it's a wonder those bastards ever manage to put on any kind of event, let alone a motor race. I have had a barely believable e-mail from them today, anyone know any good French swear-words? I'm going to give them both f*cking barrels in the morning. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:43 pm

In French it is not so much the swear words but phases, you have to remember the cultural references :) "Swearing" in French can be so much more offensive than in English but it does not have that same percussive quality that letting rip a stream of 4 letter English words does :!:

I have a very good book on the subject that you should always carry with your phase book :wink:

If you make it to Le Mans I will buy you a beer to calm you down.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 am

Well, I managed to sort it all out using some sage advice which Nick Mason gave me a while back; fundamentally there is no show without Punch. I demanded to be put through to their best English-speaker and then conducted the whole conversation in my schoolboy French; the thrust of my argument was that Crecy, Agincourt and Waterloo were but little sideshows compared to what was going to happen if the current LMC Concours-winning Club did not get fixed up pretty damned quick!

:twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: