Are you younger than your Elan?

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:21 am

I'm feeling my age looking back over the recent posts on this thread!

My 1973 Sprint is 15 years younger than me. When I bought her in 1982 I was only 24! Has been off the road since 1990 but I am now in the middle of getting her back on the road. Got a new battery this week [the last one was dated 1988!] and yesterday turned the engine over on the starter motor [which worked fine despite having no volts for 17 years] and oil pressure came up nicely.

Will not be able to feel the wind in my hair when she is back on the road as most of it has gone!

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:18 pm

Nope, I'm 20 years older than the Elan and 21 years older than the +2! But I'm glad all you kids are enjoying yours as well!
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I bought my '69 +2s as a restoration project almost seventeen years ago while married with no kids. :D Not quite finished the restoration yet but with two strapping lads at 16 and 13 when it does get moving again I think I have missed the chance of using it as a family car.
Oh, and by the way, I am 6 years older than my +2.

Chris
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:26 pm

I am 25 years older than my +2, so I guess its going to be a problem to get a pre1947 lotus, cheers, John.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:46 pm

I'm between 1 and 4 years older than my plus 2!! I'm using a '67 shell (017) on a 70 chassis and running gear untill the 70 shell is finished. to add insult to injury its registered in 72, work that one out, its giving me a headache so back to the Grand Prix for me!!

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:11 pm

I know I posted up earlier in this thread, but I have had a recent addition to my list of Lotus cars.
I am 18 years older than my 1970 Elan. To try and keep myself "Forever Young" (cue for a song, Rod Stewart for all you young un's) :oops:
Now I have a (I am whispering it on an Elan site ) Lotus Elise 111R for those who don't know it's got a Toyota engine.

Believe me they are both absolutely, totally enjoyable, fantastic cars to drive all thanks to her in doors for telling me to get one. :shock: my eyes when she said it.

I am one lucky B.......... I know.

By the way had my Elan out the other week and a workmate of mine 20 years younger than me (he has a TreVoR) he could not believe how quick it was around the lanes, and had to ask "what size engine is in this ?" brought a wry smile to my face did that. :wink:
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:29 pm

dougweall wrote: I am 18 years older than my 1970 Elan. To try and keep myself "Forever Young" (cue for a song, Rod Stewart for all you young un's) :oops:

Err, I dont think so :lol: you are just a "young un" if you remember Rod Stewart's Forever Young.......you probably were into the Spice Girls (sad) .........Bob Dylan wrote and sang "Forever Young" round about the time the Elan was born and Stewart's version was just a ripoff :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:20 am

types26/36/74 wrote:
dougweall wrote: I am 18 years older than my 1970 Elan. To try and keep myself "Forever Young" (cue for a song, Rod Stewart for all you young un's) :oops:

Err, I dont think so :lol: you are just a "young un" if you remember Rod Stewart's Forever Young.......you probably were into the Spice Girls (sad) .........Bob Dylan wrote and sang "Forever Young" round about the time the Elan was born and Stewart's version was just a ripoff :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian,
I bow to your superior music knowledge, Rod was the first version that came to mind. Spice Girls PAAAHH there was even only one or two of them worth looking at now and again never mind listening to them.
:shock:
Does this make me a bit not so old then ? Made my day Brian.
Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:31 am

dougweall wrote:Does this make me a bit not so old then ?

I suppose so..... but the sad part is I do remember Dylans version :oops:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:35 pm

welll songs made a strong social statement when I was Young ----like a wap bop a loobop a wham bam bam --and doo wop do wa --and the very meaningful ---shing a ling a ling ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:53 pm

I was 10 years older than my first 12 volt Ford when I heard Dylan for the time! Columbia signed him, maybe I should buy a guitar!
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:45 pm

Hey guys,

Looking at where you all are, do you think we could start singing "Rockin' all over the world"

I know we will all know that one.

Sorry about wandering off topic, It's Old Timers Disease setting in.

Doug. :lol:
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: norfolk boy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi all,
I have just reached this dizzy big 40, my 130s is a 1972 model so no I aint younger but wish I was! The previous owner was my father who bought it when I was 7 years old. What street cred I had when he drove me to school! It was kept on the road until he bought an Elite :? quite why I have no idea as there is no comparison in cars,
Poor thing ended up in the garage stored up for about 16 years and I always knew I would buy it from him and eventually I did and I really didnt know what I was letting myself in for........cars dont like sitting!
Well I think I have replaced every rubber component on it now, just out of the pit after doing donuts.....that was fun after much cursing etc!
Still running on original chassis, my father was a great rust hater and was covered in grease before wax oil came on the market!
Ironically the Elite is now in the garage and he just bought another to strip for parts but has now started a restore on that! :roll:
I suppose its in our blood not living far from Hethell!
Simon
norfolk boy
New-tral

PostPost by: norfolk boy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:01 pm

Hi all,
I have just reached this dizzy big 40, my 130s is a 1972 model so no I aint younger but wish I was! The previous owner was my father who bought it when I was 7 years old. What street cred I had when he drove me to school! It was kept on the road until he bought an Elite :? quite why I have no idea as there is no comparison in cars,
Poor thing ended up in the garage stored up for about 16 years and I always knew I would buy it from him and eventually I did and I really didnt know what I was letting myself in for........cars dont like sitting!
Well I think I have replaced every rubber component on it now, just out of the pit after doing donuts.....that was fun after much cursing etc!
Still running on original chassis, my father was a great rust hater and was covered in grease before wax oil came on the market!
Ironically the Elite is now in the garage and he just bought another to strip for parts but has now started a restore on that! :roll:
I suppose its in our blood not living far from Hethell!
Simon
norfolk boy
New-tral

PostPost by: jmesh » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:30 am

My Elan turned 40 in June. I've still got 2 years to go.

It finally saw the light of day this month after being laid up for 10 years. I just had my second kid, so I'm the one who'll be stuck indoors for the next 10.

But the commute to work is so much more fun now!

Jason
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: