Are you younger than your Elan?

PostPost by: mopho » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:14 am

My Elan recently turned 40 and I'm about to hit 35 in two weeks. I got the car when I was 26, and at the time, most people my age then did not even know what an Elan was. So I was wondering if I am still young for an Elan owner or what.

So in the interest of conducting a scientific social experiment to find a demographical outcome of global proportions (AKA Sh#ts and giggles), how old are you?
8)
67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:20 am

I am 2.5 years older than my Elan, so it's close for me.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobCapper » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:18 am

well I'm 26 now and my car is a 1970, so that gives me 10 years on the car...

I bought it when I was 24. and I think it is more than safe to say that NONE of my friends have ever seen a +2 before, and although half are imprerssed, I think a large section think I'm completely barking...
I was suitably impressed however, when my flatmate showed me that an elan Sprint that is one of the cars you can choose to race on the latest 'Gran Turismo'... whether it was programmed to beat an NSX I can't validate! :shock:
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Dave_Newcastle » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:50 am

Im 41 - the car aug 1971 so 35 yrs so im not younger.

I can remember seeing plus twos when I was a boy and have a vivid recollection of a black jps liveried one parked in town and one that used to overtake me every morning on the way to work in circa 1988.

What struck me then was how wide the car was compared to most other vehicles of the time, though perhaps that was an illlusion because of the low height agianst other cars of the time.

When I bought my car in the mid 90's I was amazed at (even then) how many people had no idea what it is - especially younger people.

Even in the trade there is ignorance- for the last MOT they at first were going to put it through as an M100 elan on the new computerised system "cos that the only elan there it must be one of those"

A few years ago I felt that perhaps there would come a time when the classic car movement would fade as younger people who felt no connection with the cars or were less skilled to look after them would be less interested.

Thnkfully this is not proving to be the case - though their popularity may well have peaked, I believe there are more and more cars passing to younger owners.

Is anyone here less than half the age of their car???

Dave
Dave_Newcastle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:05 pm

Well I'm three years older than mine, but I'm more active than the car at the moment!

I wanted one ever since I saw that Rothmans advert in the seventies. It had a picture of the gear lever with a guy in a Pilots uniform driving and smoking a fag - not a great idea come to think of it (I wonder if they smelt of petrol back then too...). Just seeing the dash made me want one, although I didn't know what car it belonged to at the time.

I have that ad on my wall now, it says "Rothmans ....when you know what you're doing". Ha ha - classic! :lol:
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:38 pm

Younger ...... no.

I beat my '71 Sprint into the world by a little more than 15 years.

Am determined this Summer to get it stable enough, so that I can get it flat out (on private roads, of course !). Even just once would be enough.

If later this Summer, posts to the forum suddenly stop ....... you'll know that my Sprint finally beat me !!!

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:12 pm

... I am a 62' model , same as the Elan presentation ... but "Old English White" is a 66' version and is my second Elan .
This is my first , still in my garage :
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steve71 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:28 am

I'm 4 months younger than my '71 Sprint. I've only had it about 2 years and there is something cool about knowing we are the same age.

Steve.
'71 Sprint DHC
steve71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:38 am

That is cool for sure 8)
67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:52 am

Dave_Newcastle wrote:When I bought my car in the mid 90's I was amazed at (even then) how many people had no idea what it is - especially younger people.

Well, it would seem even some of the younger engineers at Lotus are not too familiar with the car either.
We had a Lotus meet out here last spring (of course it was mostly Elise/Exiges) and a couple of the engineers came out from England for it. They were sitting next to me at lunch and I overheard them telling someone that they knew nothing of the pre 98 cars, nor had they any experience or knowledge of the Chapman era cars :roll:

On the other hand, I have been surprised at how many people know what it is (albeit over older people) when I have been out driving it or taking it to meets. I've had on several occasions people acknowledge it while at stop lights.
My favorite was when I was at a meet (there are quite a few random car meets around this city -some internationally famous- where some amazing and rare cars show up), my Elan was parked in between a Lamborgini Gallardo and a Ferrari F430 and some guy comes up to me and says " Any asshole can buy a Lamborghini or Ferrari, but you have the coolest car here" :D
67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:24 am

2 years older than my '72 +2...
There is a definate split in the world between those who recognise a +2 and the rest who couldn't even guess what it was!
Worst thing that has happened to me was someone asking me how old my MGBGT was!
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:36 am

I have never done the calculation before now but I am 16years older than my S4 Elan. Does that mean if I buy a 1963 S1 I suddenly become 5 years younger ?

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:54 pm

My current Elan was registered on my 21st birthday! (Not to me unfortunately). There is currently one on eBay which was first registered 2 days after mine. Sales must have been good that week. :twisted:

Cheers,

An old fart. :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:09 pm

If you go by build date (summer '65), I predate my S2 by about 14 1/2 years. It's registered as a '66, and my father bought it in '67, shortly after I got my license. I am hoping to revitalize the car to its youthful vigor and agility, and beyond - sorry I can't say the same about myself!
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:45 pm

I had a `67 Elan in `69 when I was 18 years older. I now have a different `67 Elan and, incredibly after all this time, I`m still only 18 years older.
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: