Christmas Sprouts, fact or myth

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:53 pm

trw99 wrote:Odd how this subject has bought out all the fifth gear listers! :P

Nice to see you still lurking Steve and hope you are fully recovered now.

Tim

Let's face it Tim, we're just a class Act :wink:
Others might call us a load of old farts.
Good Qualifications for Brussels?

John :D

P.S. Steve's little accident was covered in the last Club Lotus News.
I also hope you're OK now Steve.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:03 pm

Jeremy I have to confess that game "Christmas at the sproutifarts" is great fun for that idle moment . I don't care if it's for 7-12 year olds! At level 7 currently ... feeding 50 sprouts is a tall order.
Thank you!
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Anyone for Sprouts?

Shameless bump of one of Grumpy Bodgers humorous topics
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:05 pm

I miss the old fart... gone nearly 3 years :-(
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:27 am

Q. What will be different about Christmas dinner post Brexit?

A. No Brussels :lol:

Doubly topical!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:29 am

pharriso wrote:I miss the old fart... gone nearly 3 years :-(

4! Time flies doesn?t it.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:17 am

About cooking sprouts - I find it's best to steam them, along with all the other veggies. Also keeps the hob clear for the gravy...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:55 am

Always good to read John Pelly again.

JonB, I quite agree. Steaming all vegetables, without removing their 'covers', retains all their goodness, keeps them stouter, crunchy and tasty. Like potatoes, I rarely if ever remove their skins.

Also, combine steamed vegs with your daily fruit as seconds and you will be a farting delight.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:19 pm

The French have a good joke that the English like cooking so much that they cook everything twice...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Phil, the French may think it a good joke, but I don't think we Great British do!

On the subject of Greatness, (not forgetting the GREAT jimj and his recent story), when did Britain decide it was Great? What a wonderfully Empire-like thing to do. The seat of democracy deciding only this country was good enough to be Great.

Imagine now what opprobrium would be heaped on say, America if it decided it was henceforth to be known as the Great United States.

I think we're darned lucky to live in Great Britain; those of us who do, anyway. It's Great! Rather like sprouts.

Hope you liked what I did there; no thread drifting here.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:15 pm

pharriso wrote:The French have a good joke that the English like cooking so much that they cook everything twice...

At the moment Great Britain is trying to cook the Brexit twice and many want a second referendum :lol:
Talking about cooking and food in England the name for the animals is Anglo Saxon eg Pig but the name for the food is French eg Porc. Cow/Beef(boeuf), Calf/veal(veau). Sometimes over the years the spelling got changed a little.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:35 pm

trw99 wrote:Phil, the French may think it a good joke, but I don't think we Great British do!

On the subject of Greatness, (not forgetting the GREAT jimj and his recent story), when did Britain decide it was Great? What a wonderfully Empire-like thing to do. The seat of democracy deciding only this country was good enough to be Great.

Imagine now what opprobrium would be heaped on say, America if it decided it was henceforth to be known as the Great United States.

I think we're darned lucky to live in Great Britain; those of us who do, anyway. It's Great! Rather like sprouts.

Hope you liked what I did there; no thread drifting here.

Tim

I presume this is written rather tongue in cheek :) For foreign readers, this came up recently at work during one of the interminable lunchtime Brexit debates. Several of my colleagues are continentals, and they say that other Europeans generally see us (the British) as arrogant and aloof, and that we think ourselves to be "special" :roll: One of the reasons for this is the way we call our country "Great". The problem is, this has nothing to do with being wonderful, but simply refers to the geographical region of England, Wales and Scotland being the largest island within the British Isles (the collection of islands including Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Isles of Scilly, and the Channel Islands). Anorak off...
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Be careful Boyo :wink: ,
or we'll be discussing the difference between "Great Britain" and the "United Kingdom".
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:10 pm

here theyre called rose cabbage and best (imo) when taken part first: small round leaves cooked in water: add some butter and a bit of cream yummy: by my wife sandy PS i finished my first Xmas Pudding two days ago!!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Talking about my continental colleagues and getting back on track, we once had a Czech in the office who had never seen a sprout before :shock: He used to buy bags of them and sit in the kitchen eating them raw for lunch. I ate a couple with him to be sociable (strangely nobody else joined in).
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: