Le Mans

PostPost by: RobCapper » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:09 pm

I know it's a long way away, but I'm starting to plan holiday etc, and am thinking about driving down for the 24hr race in June. I've been to Le Mans once before but never for race-day, and a quick zip around t'internet shows a bewildering number of ticket options etc.

What I'd like to do is drive down in the +2, camp near-by, and watch the race, with any good--but-not-bank-breaking extras thrown in.. there'll be two of us.

Does anyone have experience of the madness of Le Mans and how best (and how cheapest) to do it?

Thanks
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:32 pm

IMO, if you can into Le Houx, quite close to track (10 minute walk) reasonable security, easy walk to Circle of Death (if they allow it next year!), electric hookup if you need it. Bar, maintained showers and bogs (sort of).
Tickets seem tricky to get, I got mine off Ebay for a coupla quid over face value- but I have lied and cheated at the door in previous years!
Everyone has their fave,you have to decide what you want and in what priority. The Village has gone (boo hoo) and LM has taken on an air of corporability (new word made up today) with aluminium and stainless steel hospitality guards to keep the hoypaloy out - it's losing some of it's grubbiness. BUT still the race to go to if you do no other.
Nowadays you can autoroute it all the way, but you'll miss the exotics - watch out for LE FLICS!!!
Interested to see what others say.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:27 pm

I have been to Le Mans many, many times. While you can buy the tickets direct from the ACO and do your own package it can be difficult, especially as the tour operators buy up all the good tickets. A few years ago I just gave up and booked with one of the tour operators.

Page & Moy
Grandstand Motorsports
and a number of others that I can't remember at the moment.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:43 pm

The Automobile-club de L'Ouest is a bit of a joke when it comes to organisation. If you order your tickets through them they will probably not even be confirmed by the time the race comes around. You are best to order through a club that has been allocated tickets, try club lotus. I always get mine through the TVR owners club, they are usually released in january. I have never camped as I am very old and frail and like to have a cumfy bed when I have had to much to drink but hotels are just about impossible to get unless you have been going since Mike Hawthorn won!
Although every year we say it is not the same and not as good as it used to be, it really is unique and an event everyone should attend at least once.
The n138 ( route des anglais) is a must but don't speed. Try the St Saturnin Great British Welcome, saturday morning ( very friendly village off the 138, different marque of car celebrated every year). Have a beer at the Hotel de France in Sartre sur le Loir ( all the British greats used to hang out there, lots of atmosphere). Sit outside a bar at Arnage and watch the cars having fun until the flics arrive to spoil it. I could go on and on and probably will!
Only six months to go!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:11 pm

I second that. Don't speed down the N138 :shock:

Those days are gone alas. Eee when I were a lad it has been known to do 140mph down the N138 and well above that on the autoroute :twisted: The French police used to turn a blind eye for Le Mans weekend but alas no more. Speed and you will get caught and the fines are big!

Also make sure you have all your vehicle documents with you (originals only) when you get stopped if you can not produce these the car will be impounded until you can. You have been warned.

Even though it is no were near as much fun as it used to be, it is still a great event and worth attending at least once.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave_Newcastle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:12 pm

I will be heading down for my annual pilgrimage to Le Mans this year. Its amazing how this event has got in my blood and for me is a greater addiction than alcohol!!!! Any fellow owners from Lotuselan.net now know that they are going?? It was good last year to see Chris at St Saturnin.

Maybe any of us going could arrange a meet up at St Saturnin or at a bar in Mulsanne or Arnage??

It would be good to know who else is around or who I might see on the road en-route or at the campsites.

Only seventeen weeks to go!!

Dave
Dave_Newcastle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:19 pm

I am all booked up and looking forward to it. Happy to meet up, will be at st saturnin as usual.
Counting down!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 pm

For the 1st time since 1999 I won't be there !

My social secretary has therefore been fired.
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Rob

I've used motor racing international to supply tickets for general entry, camping and ferry. They provide a hospitality area for their customers which is very good complete with guest speakers and continous information of lap times etc. Most impotantly it also give you access to their toilet and shower facilities which if you have used used the campsite facilities you will realise what a benifit it is.

They can be contacted on: http://www.motorracinginternational.uk. ... ickets.htm

Good luck and enjoy

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: