engine cradle adaptor for twink

PostPost by: Bitsilly » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:41 pm

I have a wheeled and rotatable engine stand that I have used for an assortment of engine rebuilds.
I will soon be removing the twink, and I was wondering if there are adaptors for mounting a twincam available?
To explain a little better, I know I can buy for less than £60 a pair of stands, but I would prefer to mount the engine on the wheeled stand.
I know I am not explaining it that well, but my goal is to be able to mount my twink on my engine stand which can then be wheeled around.
If anyone has an adaptor they are finished with and want to sell to a good home please shout. Or if there is a single person who understands my need, please feel free to explain it better!
Cheers
Ed
Bitsilly
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:10 pm

Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:49 pm

My stand has a rectangular plate on it, but I was able to drill four holes in it that lined up with the exhaust side engine mount holes.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:56 pm

Ed post up a photo of your stand it would probably help a lot
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bitsilly » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:03 pm

Actually I think you have answered the question!
Looking at the side mounting stands, one per side, I thought that was the way to mount the engine, but my plate has 4-way adjustable points, which, if I am correct for once, I can make line up with exhaust side engine mounts, as per previous post.
Off to bed now feeling kinda stupid!
Cheers all
Bitsilly
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:07 am

Not a bit silly? :lol:
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:35 am

Bitsilly wrote: my plate has 4-way adjustable points, which, if I am correct for once, I can make line up with exhaust side engine mounts, as per previous post.

Why not use it as it was designed (assuming you have the time honoured standard design) - line up the adjustable points to the bell housing holes on the block? Surely this is how you used it for the assortment of your other engine builds, no?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bitsilly » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:11 am

Yes, I meant to say I was going to do that. Ignore the exhaust mount bits.
Or maybe I just made up the fact I have ever used the engine stand before!
Shall we ever know???
Bitsilly
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:29 am

'Why not use it as it was designed (assuming you have the time honoured standard design) - line up the adjustable points to the bell housing holes on the block?'

Depending on what type of engine stand you are considering, 3 or 4 wheel, I mount the blocks I am building on the engine mount holes, as per the picture, as mounting a block on the bell housing holes using a 3 wheel stand can be very unstable.

My stand was knocked up using scaffold poles by a fantastic guy who used to repair and paint my old Ferrari' back in the day. A chap called Shane Willis, workshop near Egham. I have been trying to contact him for years but he changed his phone number. Does anybody know of him. He was short and only had one eye. If somebody who does anti social media could find him for me I would be eternally grateful, and will build a twincam engine for them free of charge. JUST KIDDING. Lovely fella. I digress.............or go off topic.

Leslie
Attachments
P1010014(12).JPG and
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sheldo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:10 pm

I used some 2" square aluminum tubing. Drilled holes to mount the tubing to the exhaust side motor mount, then bolted to the stand
Attachments
20210417_143755_compress38.jpg and
20210423_180219_compress72.jpg and
Sheldo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:28 pm

I asked my local tire guy if he had anyone who did any welding on the side and had this adapter made for my stand. I use the engine mount bolt sleeves to give the proper standoff. The only thing I might have done differently was had the end plate at the same angle as the mounting bosses on the engine, as mine sits at a slight angle with this adapter plate.

IMG_20220109_162215.jpg and
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: