Vacuum Pump

PostPost by: bob_rich » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:17 pm

HI

I have a Hand Vacuum Pump Part number #4100. It has proven useful for producing vacuum to test the ~~Vacuum Advance on a Dizzy for example and was also used to test out the vacuum system for the headlamp operation on the +2.

Unfortunately it has a fault . It used some form a a rubber mushroom shaped valve but has failed . My problem in attempting to fix it is how do you get into it !!

perhaps someone out there has seem the kit, or has one and maybe knows how to get into it

Any help would be welcome

thanks in advance Bob
Attachments
Hand_Vacuum_Pump.png and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 am

Hi Bob,
It's probably not worth trying to fix it, similar kits are available on-line. This one looks identical to yours for £13.50 with free postage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265214345430 ... 0111451%26
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:34 am

Hi OEMan

Thanks for the reply and the link to the site with a number of similar pumps. Looking at this some pumps did not have the encapsulated type of pump handle like mine but in all regards the mechanism looked like mine. So using Dremmil type drill with a small cutter I cut open the handle and was able to strip down the pump. see attached picture

On examination it was clear that the O-Ring was the problem. I managed get in a 20mm by 3.5mm O-Ring a VERY tight fit but perhaps a good idea for a vacuum pump. Anyway it all went back together OK sealing up with hot melt glue and now the device is restored to useful working for a cost of a round 10p !!

Anyway it was fun to mend stuff -- a useful skill when you own a Lotus !!

regards

Bob
Attachments
Repaired_Vacuum_PumpJPG.JPG and
Vacuum_Pump_Stripdown.png and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:38 am

Hi Bob,
Well done !
I thought a replacement for £13.50 was cheap but 10p is even better. :)
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ajwheels » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:27 pm

There is a real joy in "fixing" things.....that pleasure that comes from "tinkering"....finding what just might be the fault, making a change, and having things function again. I never get tired of that pursuit....and with my car, well, you all understand.... :)
1966 S3 DHC
45/6261
ajwheels
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: