Differential rebuilding tools

PostPost by: Superspeed » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:41 am

Wanted as above for the English diff.
Superspeed
New-tral

PostPost by: elanner » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:52 pm

This thread shows a couple of tools that I made/used for the cap spread adjustment.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46199

There's also dummy pinion shaft that allows the pinion shim thickness to be determined (I think). I've never even seen a picture of one so could easily be wrong about this. (My differential knowledge is sketchy at best, despite many hours trying to get mine completely silent. Right now I assess it as "good enough".)

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:50 pm

I rebuilt mine. Never had before but figured it couldn't hurt to try. I already had the appropriate pinion shim as the measurement was done by TTR. He used a dummy pinion which fit against a tool that rested in the diff side bearing surfaces. I think this tool to relate pinion axial to ring centerline is critical, but if you have a shim with the diff it should work with any properly machined pinion. I bought a rotating torque gauge from McMaster-Carr to set the pinion bearing preload. Just used a caliper for spread.

The pinion preload and lash came out perfect. Unfortunately I apparently didn't get the tooth engagement centered i.e. the diff was off to one side a bit. Howled like a banshee. I was using prussian blue and really had a hard time seeing the engagement pattern. I understand there is a grease specifically for visualizing tooth engagement but I didn't know that at the time.

Long story short, I paid GMT to rebuild it. Took the opportunity to switch to a TTR alloy nose which are harder to setup. Should have it back in the car this weekend
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:55 pm

I'm just awaiting one back from TTR. 6hrs was quoted plus parts. I guess I could get tools for that amount, but the number of 'projects ' I have running at the moment .......
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Superspeed » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:57 am

Thanks for the reply’s guys.
Always interesting to see how others have done it.
I have a pinion pre load torque gauge but really would like to get the full Ford Churchill special tools.
Cheers
Superspeed
New-tral

Total Online: